PDA

View Full Version : Controlling temp

don.ald
02-11-2013, 02:29 PM
What controllers are out there for temperature control.
I want it to maintain a constant temperature, that's all basically. I would never use it for lights etc and I would never use it with the Internet or iPhone.
R.

Aquattro
02-11-2013, 02:32 PM
Rick, probably multiple heaters, using the built in thermostat. That will (hopefully) keep the temp up if the garage temps drop.
An external controller is just going to do the same, with a higher cost. Also, depending on the lights you end up with, you may have to cool it as well. Fans all the way to chiller may be needed to keep temp stable.

don.ald
02-11-2013, 02:36 PM
I run multiple heaters now, and well I use a fan in summer but rarely do I worry about overheating.

denny_CC
02-11-2013, 02:40 PM
have you looked into the turetemp controllers for heaters? might be what your looking for:)

cheers

denny
concept aquatics

Baldy
02-11-2013, 04:05 PM
Nice thing about temp controllers is that if the heaters internal thermostat sticks on, it still shuts the power off to the heater. An aquarium controller is a better deal in the long run as it adds the function of temp controller, ph monitor, wavemaker, timer controller, ECT. Even if you don't use a light module or net module, they're still pretty awesome

lastlight
02-11-2013, 04:06 PM
if you can find a dual stage ranco controller they're far more reliable than the thermostats in our heaters and handle cooling as well. ebay sometimes has them for a good price. you can probably get an entry level apex for about the same price tho.

toxic111
02-11-2013, 04:19 PM
I went with a reef keeper lite for controlling my heater. It wasn't that much more than the heater controller.

whatcaneyedo
02-11-2013, 05:26 PM
I use a single stage Ranco temperature controller on my quarantine tank. You can buy them on ebay for around $60 and then wire some plugs onto it yourself.

freezetyle
02-11-2013, 05:27 PM
I went with a reef keeper lite for controlling my heater. It wasn't that much more than the heater controller.

I'd go with either what bad suggested (two heaters) or the RKL route. With you rkl you can set up a fan to turn on in the summer if the tank gets too hot, if you dont have a chiller

JDigital
02-11-2013, 07:03 PM
I would say a RKL. I've got one for my setup and it keeps my temps between 25.2-25.3. Like mentioned if in the summer you need to run fans to help cool the tank you can program them to come one a whatever temp you like.

I'm hoping with LEDs that I won't need to add a fan to my system. The consistency of my temps on my Home tank compared to my office tank are drastically different.