PDA

View Full Version : how much do i need to drain??

spikehs
05-19-2004, 01:15 AM
While working on my tank I snapped the acrylic brace that I had replaced the black center one with. How much water should I take out so that it won't bust? I probably won't be able to get the brace back on untill Thursday evening... Thanks.

rodsboys
05-19-2004, 01:47 AM
What are the dementions and capacity of your tank?

spikehs
05-19-2004, 01:56 AM
I drained about 1/3 to 1/2 of the water volume (tank vol - rock/sand)...

spikehs
05-19-2004, 01:57 AM
i suppose that would help.. its 50gal 36x18x18

AJ_77
05-19-2004, 03:49 AM
What thickness glass? I don't even have a center brace on my 50, and it's 20" tall. Glass is 3/8.

Bob I
05-19-2004, 03:38 PM
What thickness glass? I don't even have a center brace on my 50, and it's 20" tall. Glass is 3/8.

That is pretty standard Alan for a tank that has 3/8 glass, but for the more common 36X18X18 inch tanks which have 1/4 inch glass, a centre brace seems to necessary :eek:
Interestingly it is the total water volume that causes the presssure on the glass. The rock does not enter into the equation, as it displaces water.. Thus if he has a lot of rock he may be able to get away with removing only a small amount of water. :eek:

IslandReefer
05-19-2004, 04:12 PM
When the center brace on my 90g came loose (last guy used the wrong silicone). With one end attached (to theback,in my case) I drained enough water untill the front pane had no bow in it. I just eye balled across the front, it was easy to see when it straightened. Then I attached the brace and held it tight with a clamp ( 8 bucks @ C.T., 36in long ) for 24 hr and presto...its held for 2 mounths now.
I did not fill the tank completely for a few more days because I wanted the silicone to fully cure and not contaminate the water with too much acetic acid, but with acrylic the dichloromethane (solvent) should evaporate completely in 24hr.
Good luck, hope my adventure helps yours

StirCrazy
05-19-2004, 10:33 PM
While working on my tank I snapped the acrylic brace that I had replaced the black center one with. How much water should I take out so that it won't bust? I probably won't be able to get the brace back on untill Thursday evening... Thanks.

get a 3 foot strait edge and measure the bow in the side of the tank close to the top. if it is insignificant you might not need a brace.. if it is a fair bit lower the water level untill it is only about 1/32 of a inch.

Steve

spikehs
05-20-2004, 05:43 PM
I measure the glass and its 1/4inch in thickness, I'll probably still need the brace eh? It would be nice not to have it tho.... would the black frame act as a eurobrace? It just doesn't have the middle portion now....

StirCrazy
05-20-2004, 11:33 PM
I measure the glass and its 1/4inch in thickness, I'll probably still need the brace eh? It would be nice not to have it tho.... would the black frame act as a eurobrace? It just doesn't have the middle portion now....

you have to measure the amount of bow in the side to determin if you need to put a brace in or not.

Steve