PDA

View Full Version : CA vs KALKvs DOSING

Proteus
02-10-2013, 06:04 PM
I'm trying to put as muck thought u to my upcoming tank as posible.

I have been keen on a ca reactor. Partial to
http://www.goreef.com/AquaMaxx-Nano-Star-Calcium-Reactor.html

But wonder in kalk or dosing might be more effective.
The system will be 50gallons. Sps and clams

Thoughts opinions and pros and cons please

Aquattro
02-10-2013, 06:11 PM
I run a reactor, it's set and forget mostly, and I deal with it once every 8 months or so. I've done kalk, it's a good way to add Ca and alk, but more time consuming, and retail kalk gets a bit more expensive than bulk reactor media. I've never dosed, I wouldn't keep up on it

asylumdown
02-10-2013, 08:05 PM
If your'e going to dose, get an auto-doser. Don't rely on human machinery to do it, as that is a guaranteed way to encourage instability and an eventual mass death of coral due to alk swings.

I've been using the same Profilux doser since I started my now defunct 90 gallon. It came with two medical grade peristaltic pumps, with slots for two more (which I have now purchased). Next to my skimmer, I'd say it's the most important piece of equipment my tank has.

If you don't have space for a calcium reactor and it's associated CO2 canister (I didn't on this tank), an auto-doser with whatever size/shape dosing reservoirs for your chem solutions is the next best thing. Once you figure out how much your tank is using, they're about as 'set and forget' as a calcium reactor.

asylumdown
02-10-2013, 08:12 PM
I should have added - the pros with the auto-doser of a two part method are that the first part, alk, is dirt cheap and available at any local grocery store in the form of arm and hammer baking soda. Depending on how much I spill, I can make about 3 gallons of alk solution with one of the standard size boxes, and that lasts me around 2 months.

It takes a little more pre-planning if you want to buy bulk calcium, but if you do, bulk anhydrous calcium chloride is relatively cheap. In a pinch a large tin of Kent's turbo calcium isn't really that much money for long it lasts.

cons - if you do it wrong, you can end up over-dosing your two part and cause all sorts of precipitation problems in your tank that can fry your pumps. Also, the doser doses at the rate you set it, so it's up to you to check semi-regularly to make sure the consumption demand in your tank hasn't changed. Adding new corals, sudden growth spurts, or stress that causes growth rates to slow all need to be kept on top of to prevent wild swings in alkalinity.

waynemah
02-10-2013, 09:28 PM
I've done every one of them... If it wasn't for my calcium reactor I'd have shut my tank down by now.

That being said, on a smaller tank I would likey go with a kalk reactor. With kalk you just add some to the reactor every week or two. I have enough kalk sitting around to last a 50 gallon tank a lifetime... :razz:

Dosing is very time consuming when it comes to mix time, more electronics to fail and sourcing the ingredients can be a hassle when you need them. The nice thing is being able to adjust Mg, Alk and Ca separately depending on your salt.

Proteus
02-10-2013, 10:31 PM
Thanks everyone. I've been reading on kalk and ca reactors. I think I've make up my mind on th ca reactor

Skimmerking
02-10-2013, 10:35 PM
I ran a Kalk stirrer for years and recently sold it wish I never either. I had a full blown SPS 150 gal with LPs and my Stirrer at a drip per min keep up on a constant drip 24/7 and never had a problem if you know what you are doing its a excellent piece of gear to have.

as long as you can keep up with the evaporation its good.