PDA

View Full Version : How to get a copperband to eat??

SharkBait48
02-10-2013, 05:36 PM
Hey guys I just picked up my little copper band last night, I tried feeding but he was not going for any food. After a little research I now know how hard they are to get them to feed.

Any one know what I can do?
I offer mysis shrimp and pellets

subman
02-10-2013, 05:44 PM
Feed live mussels, put the mysis in a small tube to make it work for it. Always good to see it eat before taking it home especially copper bands

SharkBait48
02-10-2013, 05:48 PM
Okay great!
Well right before I bought him they had feed them and there was not a problem
But ill def try the mussels, and what do you mean a tube sorry?

subman
02-10-2013, 06:03 PM
I used an old pill bottle with some holes put in it, or film container (if you can find on e now lol)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1fQjAZjafxM

I believe this is Reef Pilots vid

If he was eating, give him some time as well they are very shy, but try these things in the mean time. The sooner he eats the better.

paddyob
02-10-2013, 06:05 PM
This thread again? Lol.

It might eat. It might not eat. It might eat and then die.

These are , in most opinions , an expert level fish at the minimum. MOst of them die no matter what you do.

Good luck.

Duker
02-10-2013, 06:14 PM
You can also use an old clam shell, I know "jaws" did that and he got his copperband eating, started with clams and mussels and slowly started putting pellets in the shell. You should. Pm him and see what else he used. I have also been successful with a little bloodworm. It's not a food we usually would use in salty tanks, but for a fish not eating sometimes ya gotta get his interest first, then once he settles in a bit he might start eating for u and u can most likely hold his interest with mysis and if ur lucky pellets. Fingers crossed.

cuz
02-10-2013, 06:20 PM
throw some acans in, mine loves em...

paddyob
02-10-2013, 06:45 PM
throw some acans in, mine loves em...

Thats funny! :alien:

reefwars
02-10-2013, 07:09 PM
Large pe mysis, make the fish hunt for his meal they don't appreciate an easy meal plus it gets the fish use to you.

dustinc
02-10-2013, 10:10 PM
I got mine to start feeding with frozen blood worms. Then after a couple days he started going for Pe mysis. Now he fights the sailfin for mysis. He is always picking at the rocks, so I assume he is getting a lot of food that way as well.

xenon
02-11-2013, 12:11 AM
This is the best video to show you how to feed copperband butterfly fish.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m_b_SYw4a4A