PDA

View Full Version : Started Vodka dosing today

fishyfolks
02-09-2013, 10:27 PM
So, after A LOT of reading I have decided to start vodka dosing. My main reason is that my nitrates (50 today) and phos just will not go down since i moved my tank into our new home about 7 months ago. Anyone have any experiences to share? Advice or tips. I'll update as I go, just in case there are other ppl interested in my results.

Other info:

System is 135, with 33 gallon sump, 20 gallon refuge
lighting: 1 vega color and 1 250 x MH w/2 month old bulb. (can only afford to upgrade on a time...lol)
I do a 25% water change every week
I dont over feed (in fact i probably underfeed....:redface:)
i have a Euroreef 250 skimmer
200 + LR
I have 6 x 850gph powerheads in my tank as well as the 2 returns from my sump pump
Refugium has loads of critters in it (nitrates in refuge are lower than tank??)
Oh and my tank is bare bottom. No sand.

Anyways, I'd be interested to hear any comments or concerns :biggrin:

Day one: .4 ml

Madreefer
02-09-2013, 10:32 PM
Have you thought about vinegar instead? I dose 30ml a day. I was told not to dose that much but all is goin well for my tank. I'm guessing I have around 200G of water total. Been dosing that much for couple months now.

fishyfolks
02-09-2013, 10:36 PM
Have you thought about vinegar instead? I dose 30ml a day. I was told not to dose that much but all is goin well for my tank. I'm guessing I have around 200G of water total. Been dosing that much for couple months now.

i did consider vodka. honestly, i opted for vodka for ease as well as the different testimonials regarding nitrate and phos numbers, as well as pictures of ppls before and afters.

Why did u start with vinegar and what improvements have you noticed

Madreefer
02-09-2013, 10:48 PM
I started with vinegar, well cuz vodkas for me. Vinegar goes better with fish n chips. HAHA. I overfeed. I havent checked nitrates for prolly 6-7 years now. I just got sick of cleaning my glass so much and since dosing I dont have to as much. Yes I do run GFO as well. My colors are looking better since dosing as well. It could be something else contributing to that but i'm stickin with the vinegar dosing as the reason. But I have'nt seen my tank in a couple of weeks but my wife says it looks good still. I hope so, from 15G WC a week to being once a month when I go home for a visit.

fishyfolks
02-09-2013, 10:56 PM
i did consider vodka. honestly, i opted for vodka for ease as well as the different testimonials regarding nitrate and phos numbers, as well as pictures of ppls before and afters.

Why did u start with vinegar and what improvements have you noticed

OOPS I meant i did consider VINEGAR. sorry

fishyfolks
02-09-2013, 10:59 PM
Good to know , Madreefer!!! If i dont see considerable diff with the vodka, I'll re-think things!!

PS I'm not exactly happy about sharing my vodka, either. lol

Nasoblond
02-09-2013, 11:30 PM
I tried Vodka for a few months...and then switched to vinegar. The results with vinegar has been great for me. Corals seem very happy and less red stuff growning all over my tank.