PDA

View Full Version : Who can build an acrylic tank if I buy the acrylic

Saltnoob
02-09-2013, 09:24 PM
I'm looking for someone experienced in building acrylic tanks to build the tank for me I will supply the every luv and any materials needed for the job please leg me know so we can talk prices it's gonna be a large tank 8 feet by about 42 wide by 24 high

The Grizz
02-10-2013, 12:24 AM
That's one big arse tank!! From my experience when I built my acrylic sump it's not an easy thing to do. What thickness of acrylic are you thinking of using? My sump has sprung a couple leaks that where easy to fix but there is a real nack to building with acrylic.

untamed
02-10-2013, 12:34 AM
Envision in Oregon. He will do that tank 1" thick all around.

Reef Pilot
02-10-2013, 12:52 AM
Are you sure you want an acrylic tank? One of my tanks is acrylic and I hate it. Hard to clean coralline algae from it, as you can only use plastic scrapers.

And they are very easily scratched. All you need is a grain of sand (or coralline) caught in your mag cleaner, and it will make a scratch. Mine is full of scratches. And I use the special underpads for acrylic, but like I said, all it takes is a small grain of sand.

I have another glass tank downstairs and it is a joy to clean compared to my acrylic one. And while it is an old tank, hardly any scratches on it.

untamed
02-10-2013, 01:46 AM
Once you get to a tank of that size, the advantages of acrylic start to outweigh the troubles

JmeJReefer
02-10-2013, 05:08 PM
Wow! Acrylic? Cost wise it might be a reasonable thing to do but for longevity, aesthetics, and ease of maintenance, I would suggest glass, IMO. A tank that big will need new levels of support. Space. $$$$$$$$$$$ out the wazooh !!!! Again. IMO.

Baldy
02-10-2013, 05:18 PM
its not that difficult to work with acrylic yourself. you just have to find the solvent for it. industrial plastics and paint carries weld-on products and thats what i used to build my sump. google it and theres lots of info on gluing acrylic. getting joints that are bubble free is the most difficult part :(

paddyob
02-10-2013, 07:00 PM
Talk to Codfather.

I know for a fact Bob is good with acrylics. Whether or not he wants to build a tank, I don't know.

I think he built his previous one from acrylic.

BUT the cost of that much acrylic os going to be astronomical!! I bought a small piece.. 1/4' thick by about 16x20" for $30 just for a sock holder. I can't even guess the cost of a thicker huger piece!

Good luck.

Baldy
02-10-2013, 07:25 PM
my sump is a very strange shape, but it holds 25g full, i have a bubble trap from the skimmer/filter sock compartment to the LR/chaeto compartment, then a baffle to the return pump section and the acrylic was over 300$. its only 1/4" thick as well.

Saltnoob
02-11-2013, 06:42 PM
hey thanks guys ya i know it gonna be pricy but ive priced out the acrylic im gonna either go 3/4 or 1'' and if i buy 8x4 sheets its not that much more then getting a glass one custom made that size it gonna be around 3 grand but thats no including getting it made now lol.

but im not gonna move another 2500lb tank ever again ive done it to many time at least if i gotta move it it will be very reasonable

untamed
02-11-2013, 08:47 PM
My tank (72x48x28) x1" weighs 500lbs.