PDA

View Full Version : Pump suggestions

Coralgurl
02-09-2013, 07:43 PM
Im getting tired of lugging water jugs up from the basement for water changes. What would be a good pump to push water up a flight of stairs and around a couple of corners? Boyfriend won't let me cut holes in the walls and floors....:twised:

craigwmiller
02-09-2013, 08:18 PM
I'm using a Mag 7 to pump from my water changes from the basement upstairs. Total distance on my setup is 8 feet vertical, plus another 15 feet horizontal. I do a 8-10 gallon water change, and the fill time is about 7-8-ish minutes.

Madmak
02-09-2013, 09:04 PM
I was going to suggest a Mag 12 or bigger just for faster speed. You can also use the same pump to pump old water to the drain from the DT.

Coralgurl
02-09-2013, 09:15 PM
Thanks! I'm gonna try the the pump I use to pump out of the tank and see if that will work to pump up.....if my hose is long enough, I don't think it will be though.

Madmak
02-10-2013, 06:07 AM
Home Depot or Lowes has flexible tubing for a decent price, well worth the money to save all that effort.

I did 50G water changes for a while with buckets that I hauled upstairs to dump, then filled with NSW, then pumped slowly back in to the DT, not fun.

This is what I do now: :)
http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=87648

Mike-fish
02-10-2013, 06:33 AM
I use a 1/2 submersible sump pump from Home Depot to transfer water it's also my tank move pump. I just have to run a fresh water flush through it after as it doesn't fare well to continuous saltwater exposure.

aquatechy
02-10-2013, 08:44 AM
Plumb two Mag's in series (one feeding into another), either 7 or 9.5. Same speed, usually 1.5 - 1.8x more pressure. (and don't plumb ANY aquarium pump in parallel ever, they're not designed for that)

In case you don't believe me:

http://www.engineeringtoolbox.com/pumps-parallel-serial-d_636.html

On the other hand, if you want good quality pumps, go for Reeflo Pumps. Reeflo also recommends doing the same thing if you need more pressure. A bit fancy for your use, but reliable. Either way, make sure your plumbing fitting are solid, as higher pressure means even small holes may start dripping.

sphelps
02-10-2013, 02:57 PM
Plumb two Mag's in series (one feeding into another), either 7 or 9.5. Same speed, usually 1.5 - 1.8x more pressure. (and don't plumb ANY aquarium pump in parallel ever, they're not designed for that)

In case you don't believe me:

http://www.engineeringtoolbox.com/pumps-parallel-serial-d_636.html

On the other hand, if you want good quality pumps, go for Reeflo Pumps. Reeflo also recommends doing the same thing if you need more pressure. A bit fancy for your use, but reliable. Either way, make sure your plumbing fitting are solid, as higher pressure means even small holes may start dripping.

Is that a typo or are you suggesting you can't plumb pumps in parallel?

Aquattro
02-10-2013, 03:09 PM
It depends on how much water you're moving. A MAG 5 might pump it that high, but how fast? I do 50g changes using a MAG 12 on the same floor, and that makes me impatient.

Coralgurl
02-10-2013, 04:33 PM
Home Depot or Lowes has flexible tubing for a decent price, well worth the money to save all that effort.

I did 50G water changes for a while with buckets that I hauled upstairs to dump, then filled with NSW, then pumped slowly back in to the DT, not fun.

This is what I do now: :)
http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=87648

That's a sweet set up you have! Do you have 2 controllers on your system then, one for your wc and one for your tank? I have a controller on my 180 only.

I was thinking of having a switch by one tank to turn the pump on and off so I can do the water changes without help - someone watching the tank and someone to turn off in the basement.

I think finding some kind of better way for water changes would make them more consistent.

Madmak
02-10-2013, 05:23 PM
Thanks, I only have one controller but I have one Energy Bar 4 by the mixing station, just a USB cable to connect it back to the tank.

aquatechy
02-18-2013, 11:24 PM
Is that a typo or are you suggesting you can't plumb pumps in parallel?

I was suggesting that AQUARIUM pumps cannot be plumbed in parallel. I have spoken to Reeflo and Iwaki America about this for my previous pumps that I've owned from them, and both have told me that for pumps to run in parallel, they need to have been designed to do so and have to run off a single power source (Reeflo) or a single-phase power supply (Iwaki). Reeflo also stated that most manufacturers of aquarium pumps, themselves included, dont intend their pumps to be used in such a manner.

That being said, the guys over at Iwaki said that the consequence of running aquarium pumps in parallel is just more noise and wear-and-tear on the pump. The only reason I made the above statement is to ensure that someone who's never heard of the concept of pump-linking doesnt use it inappropriately. I appreciate quiet in my house, which is why I went to such lengths to do the research.