PDA

View Full Version : What sort of algae is this?

mrhasan
02-09-2013, 12:40 AM
Well I believe this was introduced in my tank through some frags and is now out competing my chaeto. I also have a remora skimmer 24/7 but produce very dark skimmate only like half the cup over a week.

Its mainly growing in patches on my substrate and some noticeable patches at the back of the tank. Nothing I would call an algae breakout but well, its there!

I was thinking of using algae x to get ride of it.

P.S. My nutrients are, I would say, under control and has been undetectable by API; before and after this algae.

http://i1304.photobucket.com/albums/s522/mrhasan1/2013-02-08182524_zps20340ff6.jpg

Advice please :)

Ian
02-09-2013, 01:09 AM
I'm not an expert but I do know that one issue with testing your water is that the algae itself can use up the nutrients which then gives you a reading that seems "fine". if the algae is growing winnning vs your skimmer and cheato you have to be providing it with food to allow this. Without fixing that you will continue to have an algae issue .

Looks like a hair algae to me. Hand pick as much as you can, pluck it from the rocks and "vacume it up when you do your water changes also. Find and eliminjate the source of the nutrients its using. Do more water changes but be sure your R/O is not in need of a filter change.

don.ald
02-09-2013, 01:11 AM
Looks like bryopsis
Is it fern like?
https://www.google.ca/search?q=bryopsis&hl=en&client=safari&sa=X&tbo=u&tbm=isch&source=univ&ei=CLIVUYykOsTniwLKkIEY&ved=0CC0QsAQ&biw=1024&bih=672

mrhasan
02-09-2013, 01:13 AM
I'm not an expert but I do know that one issue with testing your water is that the algae itself can use up the nutrients which then gives you a reading that seems "fine". if the algae is growing winnning vs your skimmer and cheato you have to be providing it with food to allow this. Without fixing that you will continue to have an algae issue .

Looks like a hair algae to me. Hand pick as much as you can, pluck it from the rocks and "vacume it up when you do your water changes also. Find and eliminjate the source of the nutrients its using. Do more water changes but be sure your R/O is not in need of a filter change.

Yap I know about the no reading with algae in and hence pointed out "before and after this algae" :P

Yah I was also thinking it as hair algae but wanted to be sure. I am very sure that the nutrients were balance previously and hence the source is just the source that used to be for chaeto but now this bugger is taking chaeto out of business. The source must have been some of the frags with these buggers on! :twised:

mrhasan
02-09-2013, 01:13 AM
Nop. Its thin and stringy.

Looks like bryopsis
Is it fern like?
https://www.google.ca/search?q=bryopsis&hl=en&client=safari&sa=X&tbo=u&tbm=isch&source=univ&ei=CLIVUYykOsTniwLKkIEY&ved=0CC0QsAQ&biw=1024&bih=672

reefwars
02-09-2013, 01:24 AM
its bryopsis............100%

mrhasan
02-09-2013, 01:27 AM
its bryopsis............100%

What to do now?

reefwars
02-09-2013, 01:29 AM
What to do now?

fry it up it tastes delicious lol

h2o2 dip

mrhasan
02-09-2013, 01:32 AM
fry it up it tastes delicious lol

h2o2 dip

Na I prefer chicken fry that I am making for dinner :P

Its on the sand, how can I do peroxide dip :P Maybe a nudibranch or something? I am definite that it came from some frags and not just grew out of high nutrients. I had some bubble algaes (came from frags too LOL) and they have died off but these buggers keeps on popping up so I am guessing its out competing the chaeto.

reefwars
02-09-2013, 01:38 AM
Na I prefer chicken fry that I am making for dinner :P

Its on the sand, how can I do peroxide dip :P Maybe a nudibranch or something? I am definite that it came from some frags and not just grew out of high nutrients. I had some bubble algaes (came from frags too LOL) and they have died off but these buggers keeps on popping up so I am guessing its out competing the chaeto.

dude its like 5 strands lol....... pluck it out , you can add a nudibranch but its gonna take you about a month to find a lettuce nudi and maybe he will starve before he finds that tiny amount.

honestly reach in and pull it , if its not there it cant feed, keep on it and it stays gone;)

nutrients are feeding it and its not out competing your cheato as bryopsis needs very little nutrients to survive;)

cheers

denny

mrhasan
02-09-2013, 01:42 AM
dude its like 5 strands lol....... pluck it out , you can add a nudibranch but its gonna take you about a month to find a lettuce nudi and maybe he will starve before he finds that tiny amount.

honestly reach in and pull it , if its not there it cant feed, keep on it and it stays gone;)

nutrients are feeding it and its not out competing your cheato as bryopsis needs very little nutrients to survive;)

cheers

denny

I have some more strands around the tank (all on the substrate and few big patches on the back). I did remove it few days back but they popped back up! I will be plucking those out tomorrow when I do the regular water change.

Ah! I guess its getting enough nutrient to survive then I guess. Skimmer didn't HELP :twised:

reefwars
02-09-2013, 01:46 AM
it really needs very little nutrients, how do you test your phosphates and where are they at?

mrhasan
02-09-2013, 01:49 AM
it really needs very little nutrients, how do you test your phosphates and where are they at?

API lol. I don't really test but the last time I did, the kit showed color fainter than 0.0 (one decimal place). BTW I did notice that for the last few weeks, I have to clean my tank glass like every two days or something. No die off or anything. Don't know where its all coming. I even have cut down feeding to only once a day and added a remora. Weird

Midway
02-11-2013, 05:37 AM
From what I know, skimmers do not take nutrients out of the water column, they take food out of the water before it breaks down and turns into nutrients. When food breaks down and turns into nutrients, then algae consumes it and that's how algae grows out of proportion in some tanks. You just need the algae concentrated in a place of the system to help out with high nutrients.

canadianbudz604
02-11-2013, 09:47 PM
Didn't u say that u use tap water? Ppm will be up more right now with all the crap weather that's been around, maybe this is the cause of access nutrients.

jagermaier
02-12-2013, 01:01 AM
It almost looks like a spaghetti worm? :lol:

mrhasan
02-12-2013, 01:41 AM
It almost looks like a spaghetti worm? :lol:

Yah spaghetti worms tentacles do look like that :P One of them fell into the vicious grip of my tweezers when I was pulling out the algae today :P