PDA

View Full Version : Salifert DKH reading

axe_man16
02-09-2013, 12:19 AM
So i had been using API test kit of my alk and found it to benot very accurate so I got a Salifert one.

Now i did the test exactly by the instructions and their readings dont male sense to me. It days turn the syringe upside down and take the reading and corrilate that with their chart. Mine is at .69 so i cross check with the table and holy crap it says my DKH is 5.7. If this is the case my corals should all be dead.

I assume i should take the amount of regent used so .31 and use that with the chart. I would then be right around 9 DKH.

Am i right that it should be the amount used. The instructions are not clear here.

Thanks

phi delt reefer
02-09-2013, 12:38 AM
So i had been using API test kit of my alk and found it to benot very accurate so I got a Salifert one.

Now i did the test exactly by the instructions and their readings dont male sense to me. It days turn the syringe upside down and take the reading and corrilate that with their chart. Mine is at .69 so i cross check with the table and holy crap it says my DKH is 5.7. If this is the case my corals should all be dead.

I assume i should take the amount of regent used so .31 and use that with the chart. I would then be right around 9 DKH.

Am i right that it should be the amount used. The instructions are not clear here.

Thanks

5.7 is your alkalinity (ur doing it right the first way)
your corals wont be dead but if you test ur calcium you'll probably see its at like 600+

as you bring your alk up your calcium will balance out as well

heres a video
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AZtf1jGJrpk

axe_man16
02-09-2013, 12:49 AM
What causes this to happen? You are right my cal is around 550. It usually is at 450 or 425 my SG is at 1.026 just as it always is.

phi delt reefer
02-09-2013, 12:52 AM
no clue to be honest but thats how the two seem to be related.

if your tank is new your system could be heavily using alk during the startup - i found that was the case with mine. I just doesed alk for months then finally my calcium started depleting below 400

axe_man16
02-09-2013, 12:59 AM
Tank is over 2 years. And i did a water change on Monday my calcium was 450 i tested the new water it was 350 so I added 3 capfulls of my calcium additive to get it to 450, did another test and it was fine. So I test the tank now and it is 550 for the calcium. A bit baffled

phi delt reefer
02-09-2013, 01:25 AM
only thing i could say is your calcium test must have been off... even then three capfuls of calcium in a water change isnt going to bump your calcium that much unless its like a 5 gallon nano

axe_man16
02-09-2013, 01:29 AM
It is very weird. My tank is 60 gallons with a 15g fuge, and a 30g sump. So a 5gallon water change shouldnt do that. Going to retest once more, but have gotten three tests all the same

jostafew
02-09-2013, 03:11 AM
Not saying that this IS your problem, but I'm facing a similar issue and I'm pretty confident it was due to a bad batch of salt... Took me a long time to discover it and unfortunatly things got pretty bad. Mag and Calc were WAY high, Alk was low. I should have known better when the salt had an unusual texture and it took more than my usual 2.5 cups / 5gal to reach the desired SG.

The moral of my story is measure your freshly mixed water and make sure it isn't going into the tank already messed up.

axe_man16
02-09-2013, 03:15 AM
The weird thing is that i did test the water before i did the change as I havnt checked it in a while. All was good then checked it next day and the parms were out of wack.

marie
02-09-2013, 03:55 AM
You probably had some localized precipitation when you added the extra calcium (check your pump impellers and your heater that's where it will often settle out, too much precip. will seize the impellor)

You might want to check your Mg as well

oh and my alk frequently ends up at 5dkh, corals growth slows some but it doesn't kill them

axe_man16
02-09-2013, 04:36 AM
Interesting... I am slowly getting my all back to normal, my mag when tested today was 1200. And I usually shoot for 1300 so it is a bit low. Going to do a WC tomorrow to help things get back to normal.