PDA

View Full Version : 175W 10K MH Bulbs

fishnut
08-13-2002, 08:31 PM
If I use 175W 10K MH bulbs on my reef, can I dispense with the actinics ? How long should I run the 10K's per day ?

One_Divided
08-13-2002, 10:32 PM
175 10k ushios definately need supplementing IMO.. They are sorta yellow once they hit the water without actinics.

StirCrazy
08-13-2002, 11:42 PM
the two times I got mine to run it was a nice crisp white .. so I would say yes you still need actinic suplamation to get the bluish look.

Steve

Delphinus
08-14-2002, 01:11 AM
I run 175W/10k Hamilton's on my 50g which I thought were the same as Ushio's, but they don't have any yellow tint to them. If they're not Ushio's I don't know what they are then, because I know Hamilton is not a manufacturer, they are just a reseller/distributor. Oh well, whatever they are, I didn't feel that actinic supplementation was ever "required" with them. The light they give off is good enough on their own. However, you don't get that extra "pop" of colour without actinics because the corals fluoresce under actinics.

Sure seen some bang-up tanks with 10k's and actinics.

So, really, it comes down to personal preference. IMHO, but YMMV.

Bob I
08-14-2002, 01:48 AM
Here is my chance to show what a dummy I really am. All that talk about supplementing with actinics is all really just for looks is it not? I understand that the noonday sun in the tropics is 6500K. When my 10000K Xanium crapped out I was foced to use my more than one year old 5500K bulb. From what I could see my corals did just fine. I now have a used 10000K german bulb. It too looks fine. I frankly do not like the overly blue tanks I have seen. For that reason I did not take my supplier up on his offer of a 15000K bulb. :confused: :confused:

EmilyB
08-14-2002, 02:48 AM
Actually, actinic supplementation on a separate timer also allows for dusk/dawn viewing, and the appearance of many critters that don't come out in full daylight. I'd never be without it. smile.gif

Doug
08-14-2002, 10:30 AM
175 watt 10K German or Ushio bulbs, are IMO, excellent bulbs. They are a nice crisp white and dont need actinics, but I think the tank looks better with actinics.

And yes, good actinic bulbs do add to the growth and appearance of corals. Its still light. Of course a pair of 40 watts actinics, dont have much par, but will still add some colour to corals.

This is why the good coral colouring from high actinic bulbs, such as 12K or 20K. A pair of 175w 10K bulbs and a pair of 110w vho bulbs on a 4ft tank, give a nice combination of light and colour.

Myself, I run 400 watt 12K or 20K bulbs, for both my actinic colour and then supplement with a whiter bulb. So still basically the same thing.

Delphinus
08-14-2002, 11:53 AM
Good catch, I forgot to mention about the dusk/dawn effect. A very good thing indeed. But again of course you don't "need" actinics for it ... you, may, however "want" actinics for it (and for very good reasons). Colours do come out more with actinics and of course a dusk and dawn with fluorescing corals is indeed very nifty to see (I myself wouldn't be without it either smile.gif ). Supplementing with something (be it actinics or otherwise) is still a good idea because if your tank is at risk for overheatings on a hot day, you can switch off your halides and still have some leftover light from the supplementation -- which means to the tank inhabitants that it is "cloudy" as opposed to "nighttime when it should be daytime." I have no idea how important this may be, perhaps not, but I think it is nicer to the tank inhabitants to not be messing about with their photoperiods in a sudden or drastic measure. So anyways if you're going to have some supplementation ANYways then why not have at least some actinics. Just my $0.02..

ldzielak
08-14-2002, 05:30 PM
I run 2x175 10K Hamiltons and 2x110 VHO on my system 5' system. I have changed from 1 actinic to 2, some people like more, other less. The corals do show better color with the 2 actinics. But overall I think I liked having only 1 actinic in, not so blue when fully lit. But the dusk/dawn effect is much better with 2.

If you have the options, just another aspect to play with.

Delphinus: Where did you get you bulbs? They are not so common I have found.

Lee

[ 14 August 2002, 13:30: Message edited by: Lee ]

Bob I
08-14-2002, 06:59 PM
I am very happy with my new (old) 10000K bulb, but knowing bulbs have to be replaced every so often (although I do not believe as often as people say), I have just asked my supplier to send me one of the brand new Xanium H3 15000K bulbs. We will see what that is like.
Bob