PDA

View Full Version : What are YOU using for Carbon and GFO reactors?

Trevor W
02-08-2013, 01:22 AM
Trying to see what everyone out there is using for Carbon and GFO reactor(s), hoping this thread will narrow my decision.

Please state which reactor(s) you are using and why.

Thanks

Reef Pilot
02-08-2013, 01:43 AM
I just use old RO filter canisters in series that I converted to 3/8 plumbing and tee'd into my return pump with a ball valve to control flow. The media is contained in the internal media canisters (same as used for DI). Works really well.

Cal_stir
02-08-2013, 01:59 AM
I use BRS canisters with their high flow refillable cartridges, I use a piece of pvc pipe as a spacer in the bottom half of the cartridge and pack a half cup of carbon between sponges on the top half, I tumble HC GFO at a slow boil in another canister

Baldy
02-08-2013, 02:36 AM
I use 2 TLF phosban 150s in series with a maxijet 1200. i bought them because they were cheap and small in size. if i had the room though, id give the brs reactors a shot. ive heard good things and like the videos ive watched

whatcaneyedo
02-08-2013, 03:03 AM
I sold my TLF reactors and bought BRS a few years ago because I couldn't take it anymore. I could never get the O-ring in the top of the TLF reactor to sit right so that they wouldn't leak. I also found the ridged pipe coming up through the middle to be a nuisance to overcome when refilling the unit. The BRS product or just some RO pre filter housings modified to be the same thing was a wonderful idea. They're solid, economical, easy to use, and they don't leak!

The Guy
02-08-2013, 03:41 AM
I use TLF 150 reactors, they are a PITA to put GFO into but seem to work well, I don't use carbon at all but I do run Purigen seems to keep my water pristine.

The Grizz
02-08-2013, 03:48 AM
Using 3 - NextReef MR1 reactors for carbon, GFO & Vertex pellets.

Lance
02-08-2013, 03:59 AM
BRS for carbon, TLF for GFO, and Vertex UF-15 for pelllets; all driven from the return pump.

1eyedjyde
02-08-2013, 05:53 AM
I use the brs dual reactor it works great, easy to change out media plus both carbon and gfo are run off a single power head.

Mike-fish
02-08-2013, 06:23 AM
Pair of TFl 550s

Madmak
02-08-2013, 06:25 AM
1 vertex uf-15 with seachem sea gel, carbon and phosguard mix.

xenon
02-08-2013, 12:05 PM
We use TLF PhosBan Reactors for both GFO and Carbon.

duncangweller
02-08-2013, 01:11 PM
Like a bunch of the others i use the BRS Dual Reactor.

Works well, only uses one powerhead, really easy to change media and not messy at all. Apparently two single reactors with two separate pumps would be the way to go but all depends on your budget and room in your sump.

either way, I like it!

Dunc

darb
02-08-2013, 01:25 PM
tagging along ...

anyone using the CPR reactors (http://www.cpraquatic.com/products/siha.html) BTW?

reefwars
02-08-2013, 02:08 PM
new vertex rx's here .....love em;)

Trevor W
02-08-2013, 02:17 PM
Wow thanks for the feedback! So I am kind of torn between the Next Reef MR1 and the BRS dual reactor for Carbon and GFO. Whichever I choose will be housed in a seperate cabinet with my ATO beside the stand. So as far as the BRS dual reactors what would you say is the best pump for this.

Trevor W
02-08-2013, 02:19 PM
Using 3 - NextReef MR1 reactors for carbon, GFO & Vertex pellets.

Hey Grizz, are you running these off of your return line?
and are they able to be daisy chained together and run off of a single pump like the BRS dual reactor?

Trevor W
02-08-2013, 02:25 PM
new vertex rx's here .....love em;)
Have you had to change media in them yet? and if so is it a PITA? Also are you running them off of a return line or do they have there own pump and can they be daisy chained together and run off a single pump? I just did a quick search and they look really nice.

The Grizz
02-08-2013, 02:43 PM
Hey Grizz, are you running these off of your return line?
and are they able to be daisy chained together and run off of a single pump like the BRS dual reactor?

well yes and no, I am running 2 off my OF lines coming into my sump and the other (pellets) off a separate pump as they need more flow. You could link them together if you really wanted to but I would only do that with the Carbon & GFO reactors not the pellet one.

Trevor W
02-08-2013, 02:55 PM
well yes and no, I am running 2 off my OF lines coming into my sump and the other (pellets) off a separate pump as they need more flow. You could link them together if you really wanted to but I would only do that with the Carbon & GFO reactors not the pellet one.

Awesome thats all I plan on running right now with this tank is Carbon and GFO. I plan on putting them in a cabinet beside the tank linked together and running off of a single pump like a maxijet 1200 or something similar.

How are the MR1's for changing media?

reefwars
02-08-2013, 03:05 PM
Have you had to change media in them yet? and if so is it a PITA? Also are you running them off of a return line or do they have there own pump and can they be daisy chained together and run off a single pump? I just did a quick search and they look really nice.

Personally I love them, clean design, unions for hardlines or easy disassemble. Mines running external so easy to reload.

I recently changed out all the tlf at the store and replaced with rx's, same with my home tanks.

For pellets home I use a vertex uf1.5 and at the store we use a reefoctopuss Bio pellet upflow reactor, no clumping, clogging and comes with mounted pump, very clean functional design but its in sump only:)

reefwars
02-08-2013, 03:08 PM
The rx are designed with Daisy chaining in mind. Smaller head footprint then the previous uf models:) I've changed the media out several times, I've Bern using them since they came out:)

Ill never go back to tlf;)

The Grizz
02-08-2013, 03:31 PM
Awesome thats all I plan on running right now with this tank is Carbon and GFO. I plan on putting them in a cabinet beside the tank linked together and running off of a single pump like a maxijet 1200 or something similar.

How are the MR1's for changing media?

If find it very easy since the MR1 's are 4" diameter. If you can't get the media in them you have a serious problem :lol:

With them being that size you can get your hand right to the bottom for a good cleaning.

Stay clear..... This Bear bits off limbs!!

chromakey
02-08-2013, 07:23 PM
Good Day:

I am looking at adding a reactor for GFO and/carbon on my JBJ 28 Gallon Nano. Is it possible/recommended to have both medias in one reactor? Are there sponges/discs that can separate the two media?

Thanks,
Michael

Baldy
02-08-2013, 07:57 PM
I used to mix carbon and gfo when I was running biopellets in the second reactor. Its possible, but messy and you have to chane both at the same time which means gfo gets changed too much. The sponges that come with the tlf phosban 150 don't keep the 2 separated and they end up mixed. There might be reactors that are made to use both in the same chamber, but he phosban ones don't work very well for it

scubadawg
02-08-2013, 10:28 PM
I am now using a Spectrapure Media reactor, instead of the BRS, I found the Spectrapure more controllable.

Simons
07-31-2013, 08:20 PM
BRS deluxe single reactors x2 one for Carbon one for GFO. Might be a bit light on my tank but...so far 0 measurements for everything.

lastlight
07-31-2013, 08:54 PM
Denny where do you place the foam pads for gfo in the RX-U canisters? I used to always place one pad down first then dump the gfo on top and it worked ok but still hard to get all the gfo gently moving.

So I tried gfo directly on top of the pvc plate and half the gfo gets jammed up against the canister around the plate and even less of the gfo seems to be getting flow.

I personally wish I'd gone with the BRS reactors again. My Vertex also always leaks but it's in my sump thankfully.

JDigital
07-31-2013, 09:01 PM
. My Vertex also always leaks but it's in my sump thankfully.

Join the club.. Mine leaks like a siv.. Disappointing product.

PFoster
07-31-2013, 09:33 PM
TLF reactors.
A 150 for GFO and a 550 for carbon on each of our systems.

I have been using these reactors of years and find them very easy to use, change media etc

spit.fire
08-01-2013, 01:27 AM
The rx are designed with Daisy chaining in mind. Smaller head footprint then the previous uf models:) I've changed the media out several times, I've Bern using them since they came out:)

Ill never go back to tlf;)

http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a171/tyty_220/Frag%20system/6BEEA99A-22AD-4778-BA36-B29227561B0E-3059-000004A4EA8F477F_zpsff2eaa82.jpg

Daisy chained vertex :)

I love em, I'm not gonna lie tho I do still run tlf reactors but they're "modded" and I only run them due to a lack of sump size on my nano. 16x16" doesn't allow for much equipment

I run my vertex reactors on their own speed wave

spit.fire
08-01-2013, 01:28 AM
Join the club.. Mine leaks like a siv.. Disappointing product.

Old style or new? My old ones leaked but my new ones have always been good to me

JDigital
08-01-2013, 03:46 PM
Old style or new? My old ones leaked but my new ones have always been good to me

Same as the ones posted above. UF1.5

Scythanith
08-01-2013, 04:33 PM
Avast Marine MR-5 (GFO), MR-10 (GAC), and Kraken (BioPellets). I haven't flowed water through them yet but ready great reviews on build quality and durability. Made in the USA and amazing customer service.

lastlight
08-01-2013, 06:18 PM
Same as the ones posted above. UF1.5

Oh I was talking about the brand new ones Josh. Leaky RX-U.

reefwars
08-01-2013, 06:29 PM
Denny where do you place the foam pads for gfo in the RX-U canisters? I used to always place one pad down first then dump the gfo on top and it worked ok but still hard to get all the gfo gently moving.

So I tried gfo directly on top of the pvc plate and half the gfo gets jammed up against the canister around the plate and even less of the gfo seems to be getting flow.

I personally wish I'd gone with the BRS reactors again. My Vertex also always leaks but it's in my sump thankfully.

Its a pita but i dont use foam with gfo on the bottom, using tje small plastic knitting mesh u bssicslly cut a foam oad size piece, the holes are smaller tjen the plate the rx comes with. Great flow and doesnt clog:)

Mine dont lesk but i fibd the top hard to screw on and off

reeferfulton
08-01-2013, 06:34 PM
my new rxu leaked out of the bottom plate where it joins to the acyrilic tube.

Proline replaced it ASAP .

JDigital
08-01-2013, 07:01 PM
Oh I was talking about the brand new ones Josh. Leaky RX-U.

I lied! I was talking about the Rx-U as well... not sure why I thought it was a UF 1.5... :drinking:

My build thread clearly shows it's an RX-U..

http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=779295&postcount=68

lastlight
08-01-2013, 07:04 PM
Its a pita but i dont use foam with gfo on the bottom, using tje small plastic knitting mesh u bssicslly cut a foam oad size piece, the holes are smaller tjen the plate the rx comes with. Great flow and doesnt clog:)

Mine dont lesk but i fibd the top hard to screw on and off

The top is insanely hard to unscrew if I tighten it to try and stop the leak.

you're using the rigid stuff they thread coloured yarn into to make patterns?

What kind of gfo? I'm using the dense and hard hc gfo. There are definitely particles in that gfo that would fir through those sheets. good idea tho.

reeferfulton
08-01-2013, 07:07 PM
maybe you are missing the oring on top ?

the second rxu they shipped me came without the top oring..

I barely have to tighten my top nad it deos not leak at all .

JDigital
08-01-2013, 07:11 PM
I just replaced my GFO last week... My o-ring is there and in perfect condition.

Mine leaks from the connections (which also have their o-rings) AND the lid..

spit.fire
08-01-2013, 07:20 PM
maybe you are missing the oring on top ?

the second rxu they shipped me came without the top oring..

I barely have to tighten my top nad it deos not leak at all .
same, the old ones were a pita to get sealed but my new ones and all the ones ive set up for other people (about 20) have never leaked