PDA

View Full Version : Help me ID this.......sponge??

fishyfolks
02-07-2013, 06:53 PM
So I have oodles of these in my tank, typically behind or under rocks away from the light. It seems that some are white and some are dark blue/black. I moved my power heads around which blew this one to the front, but some are 10" long. I'm not bothered by them - just wondering if anyone else has seen them. Sorry about the crappy phone pictures.

http://i1132.photobucket.com/albums/m567/kmckechnie1/algae/image10_zps9f68d34f.jpeg

http://i1132.photobucket.com/albums/m567/kmckechnie1/algae/image11_zpsf271feb1.jpeg

LeanneP
02-07-2013, 07:28 PM
I have some that are similar but not as long. Mine are yellow and like yours they grow in the shaded areas. I was told they are a type of sponge and harmless. Mine just sprouted up a few months ago when I increased my salinity a bit.

monocus
02-07-2013, 07:44 PM
cryptic sponges-come in all colours.how's your nitrates?

noirsphynx
02-07-2013, 07:52 PM
Looks like the "evil" sponge(as I like to call it). This stuff stings me when I touch it and makes me super itchy.

fishyfolks
02-07-2013, 08:10 PM
cryptic sponges-come in all colours.how's your nitrates?

Funny you should ask. My nitrates have been an ongoing battle since i moved my tank 7 months ago. I've always had only 'trace' readings prior to then, but now I cant get them lower than 10, and they are usually sitting around 20. You think the 2 are related?

fishyfolks
02-07-2013, 08:12 PM
Looks like the "evil" sponge(as I like to call it). This stuff stings me when I touch it and makes me super itchy.

Haha. I've had that happen to me in the past with other tanks. This stuff is totally fine though. I can grab it with no itching afterwards.

monocus
02-07-2013, 09:11 PM
build yourself a nitrate reactor.

fishyfolks
02-07-2013, 09:46 PM
build yourself a nitrate reactor.

I have.....still high though, but I've only had it running for a week. I might start vodka dosing. I have been reading about it for a while now.

monocus
02-08-2013, 01:33 AM
it takes about a month to see any results.the bacteria need time to amass

daniella3d
02-08-2013, 12:57 PM
you can slightly brush your hand to it and it won't sting but if you put any pressure yes it will feel like a burn. I have been stung a few times but this is one of my favorite sponge. It is very beautiful when producing many structures going upward.

I wonder why we feed the sting? chimical maybe?

They do protect themselves.

Anyone not wanting the stuff, please ship it to me. I'll pay for the shipping.