PDA

View Full Version : I love my EuroReef

mr_alberta
05-18-2004, 02:03 AM
Wow! This thing blows away my old CPR Bak Pak that's for sure. Its half as loud too! Is it wrong of me to hug it when I go to bed?? :mrgreen:

EmilyB
05-18-2004, 02:06 AM
Wow! This thing blows away my old CPR Bak Pak that's for sure. Its half as loud too! Is it wrong of me to hug it when I go to bed?? :mrgreen:

No...many of us multiple euro-owners know your joy..... :mrgreen:

trilinearmipmap
05-18-2004, 02:34 AM
Which EuroReef do you have, how much did it cost, and where did you get it? Also how quiet is it?

mr_alberta
05-18-2004, 02:43 AM
Which EuroReef do you have, how much did it cost, and where did you get it? Also how quiet is it?

Hi,

I bought it used for $240 shipped to my door from the US! I though it was a steal since they go for $399 at JL's so I snapped it up. I have the Euro Reef ES5-2 rated for 75Gallons (don't know how true that aspect is however). As for the quietness of it, I can barely hear it when I sit at my desk which is about 6' away from my skimmer (and my skimmer sits out in the open, not in my cabinet or anything). All I hear is the slight sound of air being sucked in by the pump.

Stretch
05-18-2004, 02:50 AM
Another euro-reef Fan right here..... I bought it from J&L on boxing day worth every penny.

Jim Barry
05-18-2004, 04:26 AM
I got my Euroreef skimmer last week. I should have bought it a long time ago.

My wife doesn't understand why I get all choked up and emotional when I talk about my new skimmer.

Sometimes they just don't understand....... she thinks I'm weird :lol:

Have you hugged your skimmer today???

mr_alberta
05-18-2004, 04:57 AM
I'm trying to get my girlfriend to knit a sweater for it :lol:

Canadian Man
05-18-2004, 05:57 AM
Sounds like none of you EuroReef Huggers have ever tried a Beckett skimmer.

:razz: :lol: :razz:

mr_alberta
05-18-2004, 01:00 PM
Sounds like none of you EuroReef Huggers have ever tried a Beckett skimmer.

:razz: :lol: :razz:

Nah, I don't want to have to buy a 20,000HP pump just to drive the thing. :mrgreen: :lol:

Doug
05-18-2004, 01:37 PM
Jon, as good as becketts are, { I use an MR3}, I would trade it anyday for a large Euroreef like one of the CS12 models, if I could afford one. :lol:

Newguy, for large tanks, pumps for the different skimmers come to about the same. A large beckett like mine, running on a Mak 4 but would work better on an Iwaki 70. Now thats a large pump, but to get the same results from a Euroreef, one of the double or better yet, triple pump models is requred.

A Sedra 5000 uses 55 watts, so its still 165 watts and three pumps to service/replace. I would guess the Sedra 9000 pumps use even more?

DOO-E
05-18-2004, 01:46 PM
What is a euroreef

Jim Barry
05-18-2004, 02:13 PM
The best protein skimmer on the market... :mrgreen:

http://www.euro-reef.com/index.html

fishnut
05-18-2004, 02:27 PM
Just a couple of questions - how do you ER owners clean the neck of the cylinder - the part that sits right uner the removable collection cup - but is only accessible through the narrow openeing at the top of the cylinder ?

How do you keep the riser tube with the sponge on the end of it from slipping back down into the pipe from the skimmer cylinder (when I pull the riser pipe up to raise the foam level, it just sinks back down into the original positioin right away.)

Thanks for any suggestions.

mr_alberta
05-18-2004, 02:33 PM
For the riser, there should be 2 o-rings that hold it in place and keep it water tight. I've just gotten my Euro Reef yesterday, so I haven't cleaned it yet.

Delphinus
05-18-2004, 02:53 PM
Euroreef ... the Saturn of protein skimmers.. :razz:

mr_alberta
05-18-2004, 03:01 PM
Euroreef ... the Saturn of protein skimmers.. :razz:

:lol:

mr_alberta
05-18-2004, 03:04 PM
Oh yeah, any of my fellow Euro Reef brothers and sisters out there using their skimmers inline instead of in sump? I've read that they may leak around the union that holds the collection cup on, but mine is dry so far...

trilinearmipmap
05-18-2004, 03:45 PM
OK I just ordered a CS-6-2+ from J&L, a little expensive but I guess you get what you pay for. I compared the U.S. sites and after shipping, taxes etc. it was only $30.00 or $40.00 cheaper to buy from the U.S.

trilinearmipmap
06-24-2004, 06:05 AM
Well my CS-6-2+ arrived today.

I have a question for any EuroReef owners.

Is the pump (Sedra) supposed to come with rubber feet or any kind of foam anti-vibration pad under the base?

The pump that came with my skimmer just has a plain hard plastic base with no rubber feet or padding. I haven't ran the skimmer yet but it looks as if it will cause a lot of noise and vibration from the plastic base of the pump resting on the sump floor. Did they send me a pump missing some parts? I e-mailed Euro-Reef about this but so far I have only gotten an automated response.

dyereefer
06-24-2004, 06:25 AM
Almost had my es82 for a year and I think it rocks quietly :smile:

titus
06-25-2004, 12:42 AM
Hello,

The EuroReef, no matter how I look at them, are over rated in their performance. This is in comparison to a good Beckett, Mazzei, or airstone based skimmer. Besides, to get the same performance, multiple pumps are required. Not to mention the fountain effect for the in sump models.

Sure, I can start a skimmer line with the Sedra pumps equipped with needle wheels but I'd rather stay away from them. The ultimate way to go is to use a good pressure rated external pump driving a good high performance injector, whether ETSS type, Beckett, or Mazzei.

For me to give up on using an Iwaki for a Sedra pump, no way. There are reasons the Iwaki costs more and there are still people who use them.

The only reason I see why the EuroReef is good is that it comes with a pump so there are no plumbing that needs to be done. But by the time one gets to the stage of getting a EuroReef, there probably has quite a fair bit of plumbing done anyway for the rest of the system.

It's like driving a Volvo. Sure it is a nice car and a safe car. There are also a lot of people who likes them for the bang of the buck. But is it more luxury and safer than a BMW, Lexus, Mercedes?

Or in terms of stereo. Sure Nakamichi or Adcom sounds nice. But is it at the level of Conrad-Johnson, Audio Research, and the ultimate Mark Levison? JBL also makes nice speakers, but is it a Revel, Wilson, B&W, Focal?

Not posting to bash on the EuroReef. Like I said, value and ease of setup probably. Truly high performance, there are better ones.

Titus

blaster
06-25-2004, 02:06 AM
yeah like a precision marine bullet

EmilyB
06-25-2004, 02:10 AM
Hmm, I have a double beckett now, only running one, perhaps there will be some improvement when I run two...more pumps... :rolleyes:

Anyway, there is no comparison in the quantity and quality I got with a Euroreef, that was even underrated for the tank size. And on top of that, it will take me an hour to clean the thing for having undo all those screws.... :razz:

trilinearmipmap
06-25-2004, 02:24 AM
IMO it just comes down to opinion and preference. But I agree the big selling point for the EuroReefs is plug and play out of the box, also quiet reliable and good performance. Anyway I bought it because of all the positive word of mouth, although it's probably somewhat over-rated.

impreza
06-25-2004, 02:28 AM
Or in terms of stereo. Sure Nakamichi or Adcom sounds nice. But is it at the level of Conrad-Johnson, Audio Research, and the ultimate Mark Levison? JBL also makes nice speakers, but is it a Revel, Wilson, B&W, Focal?

WOW! you know your audio equipment!!! good stuff!!

mr_alberta
06-25-2004, 04:34 AM
Wow, I forgot I made this thread! :eek:

Anyway, I like my EuroReef because it is so easy to set up and clean. I'm sure big beckett skimmers are great too, but I'll have to wait to find out...may the next tank :smile:

reefer_11
06-25-2004, 04:50 AM
comparing different designs of skimmers is like comparing apples to oranges.

Each do the job they were designed to do. In their own way. Some with brute force, some with finesse.

I have run all the designs talked about here. Except a mazzei. Which is another style of venturi of which I have run several.

They all work well. Each has good and bad points. Each can do the job.

The decision is up to you how you want that job done. Then buy the skimmer to fit your needs.

saying one is better than another is a bit of a waste of energy IMO.

zulu_principle
06-25-2004, 05:58 AM
Titus

I like my volvo !

Wendell

PS and my Euroreef in my 60 gallon system in my reading room with almost no noise.