PDA

View Full Version : I need assistance please. Marine velvet.

Abe
02-05-2013, 02:13 AM
I have few fish in a quarantine tank. I found the last one I bought wich was on the weekend today with redish spots on it body and swiming on top of tank. I believe its marine velvet. As soon as I seen it I took it out and place it in a tot with powerhead and heater for now as I was on my way out to work. I am planing to start using copper on it and add a small filter and hopefully it will recover. My question is, what about the other fish I had with it. Are they safe?or should I use copper as well. The only thing is I have few frags in there as well as some CUC. Let me know what should I do. Thanks.

George
02-05-2013, 04:40 AM
I would treat all fish which were in the same tank as your sick fish. I would also separate the inverts (frags, CUC, etc) from the fish and put them into a different tank (anywhere but the DT).
Also if you are sure it's marine velvet, a fresh water bath before your treatment may reduce number of parasites on a fish and provide temporarily relieve to the fish, depends on the strain of marine velvet.
Good luck! It could be worse (if you put the sick fish in the DT).

Abe
02-05-2013, 05:22 AM
pk I got home now and my fish that I moved is dead :cry: here is a picture of the area where the spots where. let me know if this marine velvet or not please. thanks.

howdy20012002
02-05-2013, 05:37 AM
hard to tell
CBB are not at all hardy and many things could have caused its demise

fishoholic
02-05-2013, 01:49 PM
CBB's are notorious for dying quickly many of them will get the reddish spots on them when they die from internal issues, so it might not be velvet. Could be something else, maybe cyanid caught.

Aquattro
02-05-2013, 02:23 PM
None of my fish looked like that after dying from MV. I'd guess something else.

Abe
02-05-2013, 03:39 PM
well thanks guys, that is some relief. I will keep my eye on the rest of the fish that I had in the quaratine tank with it and they are a male blonde Naso, flame angel, coral beauty, dotty back, 2 clown fish. they look healthy and eating so far. also the CBB only been in that tank for 2 days before I took it out. So I am crossing my fingers and I will keep my eyes open for any signs before I treat the tank.

One question tho, is it safe if I want to put the frags and cuc in the DT? so in case I need to treat the tank with copper. thanks for all your help.

Aquattro
02-05-2013, 03:47 PM
You don't want to treat your DT with anything. Once treated, it's never going to hold inverts.
IF you need to treat the fish, you'll need to remove them and put them in a treatment tank.

jtbadco
02-05-2013, 03:50 PM
I am currently dealing with MV and I have never seen any reddish areas like that.

IME the first signs were breathing issues with infected fish, then swimming awkwardly and scratching on substrate, whitish spots similar to ich became visible but the spots blossomed and got fuzzy, then spread all over the skin, then hiding, then dead.

The reddish area looks like an abrasion of some sort. I am not familiar with CBB's but are they good swimmer's? Could it have gotten sucked into a powerhead or something similar? Are there other aggressive fish in the tank?

Abe
02-05-2013, 04:09 PM
You don't want to treat your DT with anything. Once treated, it's never going to hold inverts.
IF you need to treat the fish, you'll need to remove them and put them in a treatment tank.

tehy are in a quarantine tank already. see I quaratine everything I buy, thats why I have frags and cuc in there. nothing went into my dt yet which I am very lucky.

Aquattro
02-05-2013, 04:19 PM
tehy are in a quarantine tank already. see I quaratine everything I buy, thats why I have frags and cuc in there. nothing went into my dt yet which I am very lucky.

Ah, got it. :)

annabanana
02-05-2013, 09:22 PM
eeek good luck my friend got this and lot all his fish

Abe
02-08-2013, 02:15 AM
well after couple of days since I lost my CCB, I just saw my flame angel breathing heavy and twitched a bit (the twitch was the same sign as the CBB). so I stopped the filter and the skimmer that I have in the quarantine tank and I dosed cupramine from seachem. my amonia is 0 but my nitrite is 0.5 but can't trust the tester as it is at the expiry date. should I do a water change now or wait until tomorrow because of the dose. also I have a canister filter on my quarantine tank that have filter floss and some live rocks and carbon, should I remove the rocks and carbon and just let it run with the floss? any help will be appreciated. thanks.

Jason McK
02-08-2013, 02:21 AM
sorry just trying to get a better picture.
your Q tank has a skimmer canister filter, Live rock and a clean up crew?
Typically these items are not in a clean up crew. Do you also have Sand in the Q tank?

Abe
02-08-2013, 02:26 AM
lol no, but I had it running as a tank for new additions to my new 230g. that's why. but now that I dosed everything is off except powerheads. and just an update, the flame angel seem to breath better now and seem better, I am just going to wait until tomorrow and see.

scubadawg
02-08-2013, 02:41 AM
Be Carefull about Cupermine with flame angels

scubadawg
02-08-2013, 03:38 AM
Be Carefull about Cupermine with flame angels

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2139224