PDA

View Full Version : skimmer help please!

ctenopoma
02-04-2013, 04:05 AM
I just bought a used red sea "prizm pro deluxe" does anyone own this model?
it's producing foam but I'm not sure if it's set up right. I have it hanging on the back of my tank. I have to turn the input water valve almost completely closed to get it to start foaming. if I turn the flow up microbubbles start being released into the tank from the output and the foaming stops. It could just be that my tank hasn't had a skimmer on it for awhile but I thought because it's used there wouldn't be a "break-in" period.

if anyone could offer any advice I would greatly appreciate it!

I'll try to add pics tomorrow to show whats going on.

NIVLEM09
02-04-2013, 04:55 AM
allow it to "break in".i always get microbubbles after i clean my hob skimmer but disappears after awhile

craigwmiller
02-04-2013, 06:17 AM
If it's brand new it will probably still have a covering of lubricants/etc (food/human/fish safe) that takes a while to break in.

I would take it out and give it a vinegar bath (large rubbermaid, RO water with say 2 cups of white vinegar - total liquid volumn to the recommended depth of the skimmer) and run it...

This also works after a deep clean... After I gave my skimmer a really good cleaning it didn't do anything bubble-wise - so I ran it in a bucket with just water, and as soon as I poured some vinegar in BAM it started working. I rant it like that for an hour, rinsed it quickly, and put it back to work.

Skimmerking
02-04-2013, 03:49 PM
I just bought a used red sea "prizm pro deluxe" does anyone own this model?
it's producing foam but I'm not sure if it's set up right. I have it hanging on the back of my tank. I have to turn the input water valve almost completely closed to get it to start foaming. if I turn the flow up microbubbles start being released into the tank from the output and the foaming stops. It could just be that my tank hasn't had a skimmer on it for awhile but I thought because it's used there wouldn't be a "break-in" period.

if anyone could offer any advice I would greatly appreciate it!

I'll try to add pics tomorrow to show whats going on.i used to own one for my 20 gal and what you need to do is run it full wide open allowing the air to on. this will give its self a break in faster too. Be advised that your tank may be not used to being skimmed with that type of skimmer and it will take a bit to get going. Another thing the water intake have the strainer sitting deep into the water so it gets max volume too. The dial just keep it wide open so that there is lots of flow.

patience is the key.