PDA

View Full Version : What are some really unique and colorful fish?

SharkBait48
02-04-2013, 02:47 AM
Hey guys just got my tank up and running, I have 2 black clowns in there and I'm looking to add fish over the next little bit!

I'm trying to find really cool reef safe fish that display great color or shape!
If they had some utility to them that be great too!

I have a 75 gal so keep that in mind
Thanks!!

subman
02-04-2013, 03:29 AM
One of my all time favorites is an Australian harlequin tusk fish. It's utility is to demolish your cuc. Lol although your tank is on the small side for one.
www.liveaquaria.com/product/prod_display.cfm?c=15+46+380&pcatid=380

Xadieu
02-04-2013, 03:41 AM
Fairy Wrasse are colorful and reef safe.

Xadieu
02-04-2013, 03:45 AM
Also Flame angel is one of my personal favorite but you have 50/50 chance of it nipping on corals.

Coralgurl
02-04-2013, 04:22 AM
I LOVE my flame hawkfish. Fun friendly personality, curious and always out.

NIVLEM09
02-04-2013, 04:44 AM
+1 and anthias are pretty too Fairy Wrasse are colorful and reef safe.

The Guy
02-04-2013, 03:46 PM
I have a longnose hawkfish also very cool fish.

msjboy
02-04-2013, 04:35 PM
harlequin filefish is nice but hard to keep alive with its demanding sps as a food source and not common at your local fish store. pellet weened ones seem only available in the USA.

msjboy

Leah
02-04-2013, 04:46 PM
harlequin filefish is nice but hard to keep alive with its demanding sps as a food source and not common at your local fish store. pellet weened ones seem only available in the USA.

msjboy

Good choice :lol:

ScubaSteve
02-04-2013, 05:51 PM
I'd say anthias. Some are more challenging than others but they certainly add a huge splash of colour to your tank.

Madmak
02-04-2013, 08:33 PM
I like my Kole Tang and 6 Line Wrasse. Both are colorful and have tons of personality.

Xadieu
02-04-2013, 09:04 PM
Six line wrasse gets pretty mean later on, if you have any peaceful fish in the community they are at risk. But that's not always true.

chi
02-04-2013, 09:25 PM
i really like purple firefish.i prefer it over the helfirchi (more expensive one). and mandarin goby
expensive ones.
mystery wrasse. pink purple yellow.
candycane basslet.
potters angel (might eat ur corals..mine didnt)

Sent from my SGH-I727R using Tapatalk 2

toytech
02-04-2013, 09:38 PM
my vote is for wrasses , carpenters or fairy wrasses , ive been seeing more pencil wrasses lately and there nice too . If you can find any leopard , ornate,or potters wrasse that are eating frozen i would jump on one of them as well . The bonus is all these types are reef safe and most will get along fine with each other or any other fish.

Baldy
02-05-2013, 12:35 PM
Kole tang is awesome. I just bought a solar fairy wrasse and the colors are incredible as well. Fairy and flasher wrasses are definitely a place to look, and foxfaces if they keep their coloration

Abe
02-05-2013, 05:11 PM

I love the flame hawkfish but heard they're not reef safe. they eat shrimps and crabs. LMK because i like to add one to my tank. Thanks.

ponokareefer
02-05-2013, 05:57 PM
I love the flame hawkfish but heard they're not reef safe. they eat shrimps and crabs. LMK because i like to add one to my tank. Thanks.

Flame hawkfish will eat your CUC(shrimp, crabs, etc.).

With regards to wrasse's and firefish, they are jumpers. Make sure you have a closed top if you are considering getting one.

With regards to leopard, ornate,or potters wrasse's, it is a good idea to have sand as they hide in it when they feel scared. They are some of the most beautiful fish, but make sure they are eating frozen before buying it from the pet store.

Baldy
02-05-2013, 05:58 PM

I have one in my tank. He leaves hermit crabs alone and I don't think he's found the evil little hitch hiker crab hidden in my rocks, but I've refrained from adding any shrimp because of him. I've read that if its a larger shrimp they might be ok, but I don't want to take the risk

BlueWorldAquatic
02-05-2013, 08:00 PM

if they are fed well they don't bother corals, and haven't lost a shrimp to the bigh on in our display tank.

BlueWorldAquatic
02-05-2013, 08:01 PM
one of the coolest I found, was a "Flashing" tile fish.

Had a few, and you can watch them change colors in fromt of your eyes