PDA

View Full Version : Starting out

Summit09
02-03-2013, 06:25 PM
Im currently setting up my first reef tank(110g) and just had some questions.

-Are tank controllers really worth the money? I know they can control the lighting but the lights I have already come with preprogrammed settings. Are they still worth it for everything else?

-Does neptunes apex have wireless connectivity?

-Does digital aquatics still have all the programming and other little glitches that I find from older posts?

If anyone has any helpfull hints regarding someone's first tank it would be greatly appreciated.

Phil
02-03-2013, 06:43 PM
Yes Neptune apex is wireless with the modular. Are they worth it I'd say yes here are a few things u can do.

#1 if your tank gets to hot it will turn off your lights.
2 - feed mode set to shut off pumps and power heads.
3- if your heater fails on your contorler will cut power to it
4- u can set up a fan to turn on or chiller when temp go up.
5- u can turn on and off anything from your cell or iPad
6- u can check on the tank when your not home threw your phone

Personally I think it's insurance at first u may not have much invested in coral and live stock but u will. Also they all have glitches personally I run apex on both my tanks.

Madmak
02-03-2013, 07:02 PM
http://youtu.be/ovFDR3lSYeg

A good explanation of the value of a controller. I personally think that I would have spent nearly the same money on power bars, timers, etc. I wouldn't run a tank without one. I use an Apex as well.

magikof7
02-03-2013, 07:36 PM
I bought a Reefkeeper not too long ago when I got started in the hobby, I Wish I had spent the extra money and gone with Apex. I still have a ph controller in the packaging because I can't find any instructions on how to set it up or calibrate it. I ordered the double float switch package to go with it. You'd think a simple instruction telling you you have to mount the float switch on the bracket BEFORE you solder the wires would be included...DOH! :lol:

I can't get the temp probe calibrated to set it up and working properly. I have been having trouble with the desktop program to get everything running the way I want it.

It comes with a single piece of paper and it directs you to their forums. For the amount of Money they charge for their system there should be a manual with Proper instructions. There is one on their website, I downloaded it and printed it out....Think there is any step by step instructions for the probes?..Nope.
I shouldn't have to go searching their forums to figure out how to use their product.

Wow was that a soap box rant or what!? Guess I was holdin that in for awhile :redface:

I am really not happy with the reef keeper....Can ya tell? :D

One good thing I can say, I am happy I have the thing so I am not overloaded with power bars and timers. I think an Apex is in my near future.

Ken
02-03-2013, 07:38 PM
Hi there, congratulation on your first reef tank, PATIENCE, and start with talking to many people that have reef tanks, keep it simple, donot rely on too much technolgy. Ken

Proteus
02-03-2013, 07:44 PM
My little tank is run manually. With the exception of cutting out the heater I can't find a reason to spend the money on one. If I had a ca reactor then yes I would

intarsiabox
02-04-2013, 02:17 AM
I still have a ph controller in the packaging because I can't find any instructions on how to set it up or calibrate it.
It comes with a single piece of paper and it directs you to their forums. For the amount of Money they charge for their system there should be a manual with Proper instructions. There is one on their website, I downloaded it and printed it out....Think there is any step by step instructions for the probes?..Nope.

There are user manuals on the DA website. Not sure what you downloaded and printed out put there is two pages of step by step instructions on calibrating the PH and temperature probes in RKE User Guide that is on the web site. Pages 23-24 specifically. No need to go to the forum at all. I found the system to be very simple to use and got it on sale for really cheap awhile ago.

xenon
02-04-2013, 02:20 AM
Depending on the equipment you purchase, you might not need a controller.

Our system is fully automated and we don't use a dedicated controller.

intarsiabox
02-04-2013, 02:39 AM
Im currently setting up my first reef tank(110g) and just had some questions.

-Are tank controllers really worth the money? I know they can control the lighting but the lights I have already come with preprogrammed settings. Are they still worth it for everything else?

I ran my tanks for years without a controller. Then I bought one and had it controlling every piece of equipment on my tank. Lights and powerheads have their own controls built into them now but I still wouldn't go back to not using one. Perfect temperature control, tank info always available whether I'm home or not, one touch feed mode, one touch maintenance mode, etc. They are not essential but can make things easier.

e46er
02-04-2013, 03:14 AM
I ran my tanks for years without a controller. Then I bought one and had it controlling every piece of equipment on my tank. Lights and powerheads have their own controls built into them now but I still wouldn't go back to not using one. Perfect temperature control, tank info always available whether I'm home or not, one touch feed mode, one touch maintenance mode, etc. They are not essential but can make things easier.

Agree 100%
I use a reef keeper I don't have wireless but it's not a big deal
I have the lights/heater/skimmer/return,CL,power heads and moonlights running thru it. Keeps perfect temp. The safety factor alone is worth the $$
I also found the reef keeper very easy to set up

Reef Pilot
02-04-2013, 03:17 AM
Yes Neptune apex is wireless with the modular. Are they worth it I'd say yes here are a few things u can do.

#1 if your tank gets to hot it will turn off your lights.
2 - feed mode set to shut off pumps and power heads.
3- if your heater fails on your contorler will cut power to it
4- u can set up a fan to turn on or chiller when temp go up.
5- u can turn on and off anything from your cell or iPad
6- u can check on the tank when your not home threw your phone

Personally I think it's insurance at first u may not have much invested in coral and live stock but u will. Also they all have glitches personally I run apex on both my tanks.

Adding to that list:
7 - if you have a power failure, the controller can delay turning on your skimmer for 5 min (or whatever time you choose), so you don't overflow it.
8 - use a DIY water sensor (costs almost nothing) to turn off return pumps (or other) if there is a problem.
9 - send you emails on any condition you want, like power failures, temps too low or too high.
10 -monitor your power consumption.
11 - control ATO for your sump.
12 - control your dosers.
Etc, etc,...

Madmak
02-04-2013, 03:40 AM
On a note of convenience...I can even do a 50 gallon water change using my Apex app on my iPhone and I don't have to get off the couch :)

Pumps old salt water out directly to a drain, open and close a few solenoid valves, pumps new salt water from mixing station back to the display.

No pails, hoses, or towels! It was worth the set-up costs. One day later when the RO/DI refills the barrel I pour salt mix in and I'm ready for another.

madchild
02-04-2013, 04:10 AM
On a note of convenience...I can even do a 50 gallon water change using my Apex app on my iPhone and I don't have to get off the couch :)

Pumps old salt water out directly to a drain, open and close a few solenoid valves, pumps new salt water from mixing station back to the display.

No pails, hoses, or towels! It was worth the set-up costs. One day later when the RO/DI refills the barrel I pour salt mix in and I'm ready for another.

I'd love to see some pictures of your setup

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD

Aquattro
02-04-2013, 04:17 AM
I ran my tank for 10 yeas without a controller, I think it's a luxury item you should pick up once you've spent all your good money on things you really need :) It's nice to have access to my pumps and lighting, etc, from my phone, and it's great in that it runs my lighting and pump profiles, but really not a "must have" item. If you've got an extra $500, sure, they're nice, but that's a lot of livestock you can add.

asylumdown
02-05-2013, 03:49 AM
A controller was the last piece of equipment I bought, and it's been worth every penny. I have a really small space in my cabinet to work with, and it was a crazy rats nest of wires and cables, and i dind't have nough room for a dedicated switched outlet for everything, so I was constantly having to unplug crap when I wanted to turn something off. Having the ability to turn off any device, powerhead, or pump in my system without having to reach in there and mess with cords alone was worth it. Because I didn't need to access the plugs anymore I was able to put the powerbars in the studs of the wall, which totally cleaned things up.

Also the feed cycle programming is brilliant. I've got a schedule just for cleaning my skimmer and feeding my fish. All it does is shut down my return pump and skimmer for 5 and 7 minutes respectively, but that alone has made feeding so much more efficient. By the time the return pump kicks back on there's no more food left in the water column so I know none of it's getting wasted down the overflow.

Also, having the Apex control the temperature gives me way more peace of mind. When you've got more than one heater in your tank and you know they're not calibrated exactly the same, it's so much nicer to just turn the dials on the heaters all the way to their max setting, and then use the controller's independent temperature probe to either give them juice, or cut them off.

I'm under-utilizing my Apex, next on the wishlist is the wireless module so that they can control my vortechs, and a pH probe.