PDA

View Full Version : Stocking...and order

wabush
08-13-2002, 07:32 PM
Allo all. I am new here, dont hurt me!!

First I'll list what I have, and then the fish I am thinking of introducing, in what I think might be a good order, if anyone has better ideas, suggestions, warnings, etc...please help me out!

Display tank: 54G corner with 55lbs LR and 1" crushed coral.
Sump: 75G (actual water volume) with 1" Aragonite and some LR chunks/rubble (maybe 10-20 lbs)
Refugium: 33G with DSB and 40lbs LR

Flow to the sump is around 800 GPH, flow to the refugium is about 100 GPH, additional circulation in the display is provided by 2 MaxiJet 1200s.

Display lighting: 1 20W NO actinic, 1 55W 10000K PC, 1 96W PC (dont know the color temp)

'fuge lighting: 2x 48W NO plant bulbs. (on reverse light cycle)

I dont have a skimmer running as of yet...but will do when the fish have been added. I am thinking either an Aqua-C ev 180, or trying to build my own...and get the Aqua-c if that doesnt work out.

Anyhow! I'll get to the point now...the fish...

4 Green Chromis
2 Perc. Clowns
1 Kole Tang

and something else..but I dont know what, suggestions?

On top of that I figure I will have clean uppers..shrimp, snails etc...dont quite know yet...though I guess those should go in first..

thanks!!

Chris

Doug
08-13-2002, 08:49 PM
Hi Chris. Welcome to Canreef. :D

Your fish selection is pretty good. The kole would be about the only tang you could put in your tank and even that would be limiting.

How long has it been running? May have to be careful how how much time between additions.

Going to keep any corals?

Troy F
08-13-2002, 08:54 PM
Welcome aboard Chris. Sounds like the making of a nice system. I don't think it will matter too much with the order you put the fish you've listed in. There are those who will say the chromis will pick on one another but lots who've had success. I'd be cautious when choosing your Kole, I notice that a lot of these fish have damaged mouths and according to a recent article this is common due to collection practice.

As for another fish, the world is your oyster. There are many awesome fish that would do well with the list you have so far. One of my favourites is the purple firefish (Nemateleotris decora. Have fun.

wabush
08-13-2002, 10:08 PM
Doug: Tank has been running now for nearly 6 weeks. I am planning on keepin' corals, mostly sofies though, and maybe some lower light LPS/SPS, I dont have a hood that can accomodate MH lights, though I guess I could add another 96W PC.

We'll see.

I have QT tank, and was planning on keeping each addition in there for 3 weeks, and introducing at this rate. Will that work out?

One_Divided
08-13-2002, 10:30 PM
Hey Chris, are you from victoria mainly or van? If you're in vic, you're welcome to come by some time, check out my system and drill me for information.. I should be able to point you in the right direction on some things.. email me for my number..

-Adam

wabush
08-13-2002, 11:13 PM
Adam: email on the way. Cheers

While I have some people checking this out...does anyone know of problems with Ebo-Jager heaters? One of mine comes on even with the temp set at min.

Do they have to be mounted vertically?

(cheers all)

wabush
08-13-2002, 11:14 PM
I have also added my ICQ# to my profile if anyone is interested at all...

Chris

Doug
08-14-2002, 10:21 AM
Chris, your fish addition process, sounds excellent.

If the kole is added, it should be last, and as Troy said, look close for a healthy one. Its good your using a QT, as they usually come with ick.

I have never had a problem with an Ebo myself, but could be a faulty heater. I have them mounted every which way.

Your lighting is not to bad for some corals, perhaps a tad low, but not bad. The addition of another pc, only if possible would help. You could start out with what you have, and see how they do.

I think your following an excellent plan and time frame. Should be a nice tank.