PDA

View Full Version : Need advice? Problem with overflow on new 120

trilinearmipmap
05-17-2004, 01:40 AM
My new 120g Oceanic Reef-ready arrived at the store and I went to check it over before they deliver it to my house.

I noticed the drain and return holes in the bottom of each overflow are very close to the wall of the overflow box. So close that the silicon seal lining the inside of the overflow box is about 3 mm away from the holes.

When I put the bulkhead fitting and gasket on, the rubber "o-ring" type gasket will over-ride the area of silicone seal lining the inside of the overflow box, so I don't think I will be able to get a proper fit of the bulkhead onto the glass floor of the tank, probably it will leak.

Anyway I want some advice before I talk to the fish store owner tomorrow. I e-mailed Oceanic and I also want to know what to say to them. Is this the normal way these overflows are made, or did I get an improperly assembled tank?

Dale D
05-17-2004, 01:53 AM
That sounds kind of strange. :confused:

Any of the Reef ready Oceanic tanks I have ever seen have lots of room for the bulkheads fittings. We have 3 125g reef ready tanks at the store right now and none of them are the way you describe.

Is it a 6 foot tank with 2 overflows? Are they the overflows that take in water from the top, middle and bottom of the box?

trilinearmipmap
05-17-2004, 02:26 AM
Dale,

It is a 120g tank 4' by 2' by 2'.

I expected the overflows would be in the corners but they are both along the back wall in a ways from the corners. And yes, they are the kind of double-walled overflow that takes in water from the bottom, middle and top -- I didn't expect that either, I thought that was the All-Glass overflow setup.

Dale D
05-17-2004, 02:45 AM
Did you order the tank with the "Mega Flow" overflow plumbing kits?

If you have their (Oceanic's) tank and their overflows and plumbing then it should all work together.

Maybe the wrong size (width) of overflow was installed at the factory.

That seems kind of strange.

trilinearmipmap
05-17-2004, 02:54 AM
I just ordered the tank with their plumbing kit, nobody told me what kind of plumbing I'd get, I just figured standard bulkheads and standpipes/drain hose etc so I have put together my own Dursos.

Are these Oceanic tanks supposed to come with overflows along the back wall instead of in the corners?

Dale D
05-17-2004, 05:51 AM
If you ordered it with Oceanics bulkheads then it should work.

The tanks we have at work come with the complete plumbing kit which is called a Mega flow kit. It has the bulkheads, their version of a Durso and the return Lock line. Everything you need to get the water out of and back into the tank except the hose to and from the sump.

The overflow boxes are on the back wall and in a foot or so from each end of the tank.

Oceanic used to put the boxes in the corners (may still do on some tanks), but, lately the tanks we have ordered have them on the back wall and in from each end.

Doesn't seem right that their bulkheads would not seat properly in one of their tanks overflows.

trilinearmipmap
05-18-2004, 12:48 AM
OK talked with Oceanic and my dealer and it looks like someone went a bit excessive with the silicone so I'll just cut it back with a razor blade. Thanks Dale for your help with information about this tank. BTW your cousin's live rock looks good, what type of live rock is it? And in your opinion does it make a difference if live rock is shipped for 2 hours in an unheated aircraft cargo hold versus being shipped for 24 hours on a Greyhound, just wondering what's the best way to have rock shipped up to me.

Dale D
05-18-2004, 05:30 AM
No problem. Glad you got that sorted out.

As for the live rock, I, guess you will have to let me know if you can see any difference between the 2 shipments of rock over time. Both bunches of rock came to us in the same shipment ( from Jakarta I think) the only difference is how they where shipped up to Wade. All the rock was fully cured before shipping. I don't think it will really make much difference in the rock.

2 hours in a styrofoam box in an unheated cargo hold vs 24 hours in a styrofoam box on a bus. I'd probabily choose the plane myself. I don't think it is shipped any different when it comes from the other side of the world in the original shipment, so 2 hours shouldn't effect it too much.

Probabily costs alot more to fly it though. Really just comes down to how fast you want it in your tank. :biggrin: