PDA

View Full Version : Carbon and Tangs

Steve...
02-03-2013, 03:02 AM
Hi Guys,

Any thoughts on running carbon and having tangs in the DT? I heard carbon can remove some specific compounds that could encourage lateral head disease
( Sorry, I forgot the name of that disease but its something along that line). I think lots of people have tangs and run carbon in their tanks right?

fishyfishster
02-03-2013, 03:14 AM
i have tangs and run carbon. but i run less carbon than what is recommended.

The Grizz
02-03-2013, 03:14 AM
Head and Lateral Line Erosion (HLLE). It is also referred to as Lateral Line Erosion (LLE), Lateral Line Disease (LLD)

I Have several tangs in my 165 and run carbon as well as HC-GFO & pellets. I have a Yellow tang that was actually battling this when I rescued it & since I have had it in my 165 it is recovering nicely but slowly.

apexifd
02-03-2013, 03:27 AM
I believe the conclusion of the study is, Carbon dust causes HLLE. however if you spend a good amount of of time to rinse your carbon. You should be fine.

Steve...
02-03-2013, 04:05 AM
Thanks for the comments everyone! I also run pellet and was thinking of tying the carbon reactor and the reactor for the pellets together. Does it matter which reactor the water goes through first? Pellets then carbon or carbon first then pellets? Do you also need some tumbling with carbon in the reactors?

The Grizz
02-03-2013, 04:09 AM
Best to have reactors feed separately because they require different flow rates. A slight tumble on the carbon is good but pellets need to have a more aggressive tumble.

Steve...
02-03-2013, 04:12 AM
Thanks Griz, good to know :)

Steve...
02-03-2013, 04:24 AM
you got a really nice tank Grizz, did you have any problems introducing the tangs that you got? I have a 220 gal tank with a Scopas tang right now and like to add more tangs, any recommendations?

fishyfishster
02-03-2013, 03:05 PM
I was told not to rinse carbon because the fine dust particles are very effective due to the contact time. They get skimmed out quickly

The Codfather
02-03-2013, 03:15 PM
http://www.coralmagazine-us.com/content/activated-carbon-hlle-smoking-gun-found

http://www.advancedaquarist.com/blog/activated-carbon-affirmed-as-causative-agent-for-hlle-disease

reefwars
02-03-2013, 03:24 PM
Thanks for the comments everyone! I also run pellet and was thinking of tying the carbon reactor and the reactor for the pellets together. Does it matter which reactor the water goes through first? Pellets then carbon or carbon first then pellets? Do you also need some tumbling with carbon in the reactors?

i personally wouldnt run pellets in line with gfo or carbon , i would run pellets def on its own reactor and feeding your skimmer with the out put.

carbon and gfo can be ran inline easily.

The Grizz
02-03-2013, 06:06 PM
you got a really nice tank Grizz, did you have any problems introducing the tangs that you got? I have a 220 gal tank with a Scopas tang right now and like to add more tangs, any recommendations?

I did get lucky there. Anytime I add I fish not matter what it is I do it with the light off and a dimly lite room. There is a bit of chasing the first couple days but nothing serious. My Scopas is the calmest one of the bunch.