PDA

View Full Version : Biocube LED retrofit help....

jacamarorchids
02-02-2013, 05:03 AM
I am looking to upgrade the lighting on my BC 14 and get lighting for a new BC 29 that I am setting up. I have decided to go with the Panorama Pro and Stunner strips. I like to have 2 stage lighting, with my current BC 14 I turn the actinic on first, then the daylight. at night I turn off they daylight but leave the actinic on for a few more hours. I also really want to bring out as much colour as poss.

My plan is, for the 14 have a blue Stunner strip and a magenta Stunner strip as the morning/evening lights then add a Panorama pro white and another blue stunner for the daylight.

for the 29 I was thinking a blue stunner and a magenta stunner for the morning/evening and 2 white Panorama Pro and another blue Stunner for the daylight.

I keep mostly LPS Rics Zoas and some softies, but would like to be able to keep Clams and rock flower nems as well. Not really into SPS but might also want to try a few in the 29

Does anyone see a big problem with my plan? will it be too much or too little light? I have had tanks for years, but took a break for the last few years, and now all these crazy fun LEDs are avail!!! I just have no Idea where to start and how many of what lights are needed....

I would love "simple" answers, this whole light thing has never made much sence to me..... prefer biology....

Thanks in advance!!!!:biggrin:

Bryan

PurpleMonkey
02-02-2013, 04:03 PM
Hey, I'm just wrapping up a LED retro into my bc29 lid. Do a search on the panorama pros etc... The heat in the hood severely shortens their lifespan.... With chips burning out and no way to replace them. IMO, i would do a retro kit. Check out modular led, rapid led or Steve's LEDs. Ledgroupbuy has great pricing on extra components. Once u factor in enough to keep clams (you will need their reflectors), it will be cheaper to just make it yourself.

Head over to nano-reef.com and check out the lighting forum.

ScubaSteve
02-02-2013, 05:52 PM
I also recommend a rapidled kit, or doing your own. Here, you can check out my retro here:
http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=93962&highlight=Led+biocube