PDA

View Full Version : All-Glass Tanks

fishnut
08-14-2002, 07:24 AM
I've noticed that the All-Glass tanks come with a different kind of overflow box - curved and with small slits for drainage. Does anyone have experience with these - do they become blocked fairly quickly, and is the volume of water flowing into the sump reduced with them (compated to the standard overflow box with teeth) ?

Justin
08-14-2003, 06:16 AM
I am having trouble with mine right now as a matter of fact. No matter what I do, I can't seem to get the surface to skim. The water line is only half way up the slits, so I am not overloading the amount it can flow. I think I am returning less than 300gph to the tank.

Some people have cut the top rim off making it like a standard overflow. This would not help me however. Another person increased the width of the slits, this may work. Just a PITA if you ask me.

UnderWorldAquatics
08-14-2003, 08:05 PM
thats odd that you folks are having troubles, I setup a 155 bowfront all glass tank that has two of the overflows you speak of and it works just great with a bit over 2500gph running through them.

Lofus
08-14-2003, 08:23 PM
I have a 72 gal bowfront and I drilled out the slots in my overflow as it could not keep up with the pump. It works fine now. No problems.

I'm using the AGA standpipe with the filter right now but plans are in place to replace it with a Durso style.

Biotech
08-15-2003, 03:45 AM
Suggestions from AGA:

Thank you for choosing our products. You can increase the size of the existing overflow slots by either filing them open with a metal file, or by using a Dremel tool, we do not suggest adding more slots. Also, if you switch the standpipe to a "Durso" stand pipe, that will allow more water flow. Another thing to keep in mind is that for every bend in the tubing, it will decrease the water flow by 10% each bend. I hope you find this helpful.
Sincerely,
Charlene Scherer
All-Glass Aquarium Co.
414-421-9670
charlenes@all-glass.com

Justin
08-15-2003, 04:34 AM
Thanks for the tips guys. I am gonna start by drilling out the bottom of the slots, to 1/4" and see if that works.

Justin
08-15-2003, 05:04 AM
Drilled out the bottom of the slots, and the water was still above that point, and nothing as far as the surface skimmer went. So I drilled the rest of it out. They are all 1/4" now.