PDA

View Full Version : Wavy Sea help

Werbo
01-31-2013, 03:15 AM
I purchased a used wavy sea. Does anyone know what I can use to extend the outlet 1 inch or so further into the water? The outlet is slightly smaller than 1 inch PVC.
Thanks

Werbo
01-31-2013, 02:06 PM
Nobody has had this problem with their wavy sea? I think the Vertex Mocean is very similar if not the same...

Reefer Rob
01-31-2013, 03:23 PM
Can you not use a 1" coupling? It's been a few years, but I seem to remember the outlet tube had an o-ring that 1" PVC slid nicely over.

Werbo
01-31-2013, 03:40 PM
Thanks Rob.

Ya I have tried that. The 1 inch coupling is too loose. The stock O-ring is very thin and the coupling "wobbles". I tried a thicker o-ring but it was too thick and I couldn't get the coupling over it.

I was going to go and try and find another o-ring inbetween the two. Do you think this will do the trick?

If I can get the coupling secure I can then go with loc line easily.

tim the toolman
01-31-2013, 03:51 PM
Use the larger oring and take a standard drill mounted sanding drum and slightly sold the inside edges of the piece you ar trying to slip onto the oring. Had the same problem modding an old hob overflow and it worked great just go slowly so ou don't take to much material

christyf5
01-31-2013, 04:26 PM
Weird, I'm pretty sure I just crammed a 1" elbow on mine. I'll have to have a closer look tonight as I was thinking of doing the same thing when I first got it, then decided as it was at the front of the tank, I didn't want it being more obtrusive than it already is.

Werbo
01-31-2013, 04:39 PM
My used unit came with a stock black elbow but it is slightly smaller than 1 inch and is a speciality fitting for the outlet coming out of the wavy sea.

christyf5
01-31-2013, 04:42 PM
My used unit came with a stock black elbow but it is slightly smaller than 1 inch and is a speciality fitting for the outlet coming out of the wavy sea.

Hmm, mine is white. I'm pretty sure it is "aftermarket" but I'll have a closer look tonight when I get home and see what I did. May have used some teflon tape or something but I'm pretty sure it wedged on there fine. Now I want to go home and have a look :razz:

Delphinus
01-31-2013, 05:12 PM
I wrapped a ridiculous amount of teflon tape around mine to make a snug fit.

Rather annoying that it's not a standard snug fit .. maybe it's a metric thing. Metric fittings aren't real easy to source, though. :(

Good luck....

The Codfather
01-31-2013, 05:49 PM
I wrapped a ridiculous amount of teflon tape around mine to make a snug fit.

Rather annoying that it's not a standard snug fit .. maybe it's a metric thing. Metric fittings aren't real easy to source, though. :(

Good luck....

You bet.
Its metric.
I can see what I have at home, how much do you need?

Reefer Rob
01-31-2013, 06:00 PM
You can actually shrink PVC down by heating it in an oven until its soft, I think 200 F would do it, then GENTLY tighten a hose clamp around it while its in place. Remove the hose clamp after it cools, and if you didn't tighten the hose clamp too much it will be a tight slide fit.

Werbo
01-31-2013, 07:30 PM
I only need to extend the outlet 1-2 inches..

I will try Robs trick with the oven... now to figure out how to use an oven :)
Maybe the bbq will work

The Codfather
01-31-2013, 07:32 PM
I only need to extend the outlet 1-2 inches..

I will try Robs trick with the oven... now to figure out how to use an oven :)
Maybe the bbq will work

Do not expose it to direct flame, you will not get the desired result.

Werbo
02-01-2013, 12:44 AM
At Lordco Auto they had a variety of different o-rings in both diameter and thickness. I found something that I think will work. Won't know until I put 1000gph through the WS outlet.

Thanks for the help