PDA

View Full Version : Blue head wrasse

Coralgurl
01-30-2013, 03:45 PM
Anyone have any experiences with the blue head wrasse? I would like to add one, if I can find one, I've read they are territorial and reef safe with caution.

kien
01-30-2013, 04:21 PM
although I have not owned this particular wrasse I have owned pretty much all others of his family that are generally available, that is, the Thalassoma group of wrasses.

In my experience Thalassoma's are generally not invertebrate safe. All the ones I have owned (Banana Wrasse, Pink Face wrasse, Lunare wrasse) have enjoyed meaty foods like shrimp and snails. They don't generally go after corals tho so I think that's where the semi-reef safe or 'reef safe with caution' comes into play.

As far as aggression is concerned they do tend to be more aggressive wrasses. My Pink face and Lunare wrasses were a mean SOBs while my Banana wrasse wasn't as mean.

Having said that, we are talking about fish with personalities so I'm sure there exists Thalassoma's that are well behaved. I just have never owned one myself :-)

Coralgurl
01-30-2013, 04:28 PM
Thanks Kien. I have 2 cleaner and 1 fire shrimp, oh and 2 peppermints as well, plus a variety of snails. I don't want them to become a meal for sure! Hmmm, knowing my luck, I'd end up with one that lived up to its reputation and be frustrated with it. Too bad, very pretty fish.

kien
01-30-2013, 04:31 PM
they are very pretty fish with a pet dog like personalty. Very active and aware. All of my Thalassomas decimated my invert (shrimps and snails) population in whatever tank I put them in LOL. I would personally only ever put them in a FOWLR in the future.

Lance
01-31-2013, 03:04 AM
I agree with what Kien said with the additional comment of they are extremely aggressive eaters. Very fast and and will virtually take the food from other fishes mouths.

kien
01-31-2013, 04:16 AM
I agree with what Kien said with the additional comment of they are extremely aggressive eaters. Very fast and and will virtually take the food from other fishes mouths.

right, they are very good at that too! :lol: