PDA

View Full Version : Can anyone tell me what these green things are?

RPatsula
01-30-2013, 02:31 PM
I noticed this a couple of weeks ago. These green bulbs are about 3 or 4 mm in diameter. Also is this mushroom in bad shape. Is my tank lighting too intence.

thanks
rick
http://i1296.photobucket.com/albums/ag18/Rick_Patsula/greenstuff_zps9b402957-1_zpseecea488.jpg

http://i1296.photobucket.com/albums/ag18/Rick_Patsula/healthymushroom_zps6f6717ed.jpg

Aquattro
01-30-2013, 02:34 PM
Green stuff is bubble algae. Your mushroom isn't a mushroom, and yes, it's in bad shape.

AquaPin
01-30-2013, 02:35 PM
The green stuff looks like bubble algae (Valonia)...not good stuff to have, if you google it there is plenty of info on how to deal with it.

Hard to say about too much light as we would need more info size of tank, type of lighting, etc...how long has the tank been setup for?

Jason

RPatsula
01-30-2013, 02:55 PM
Thanks for the information on the bubble algae. I'm new to the saltwater hobby so please excuss me if I do not know what type of coral I purchased. So the pink one is a brain coral I think.
My tank setup is as follows. It has been up and running for about 8 months. It is 230 gallons. The lighting is 4 radions with 2 mp40's and 2 mp10's. The sump is approximatly 100 gallons. I do about a 35 gallon water change every week. Do you need any other information.

Thanks for your help
Rick

Proteus
01-30-2013, 03:00 PM
Emerald crabs will take care of small bubble algae. But if I see it I still pick it out without bursting it

BlueWorldAquatic
01-30-2013, 03:09 PM
Bubble algae, pick it out and toss it, do not break it in your tank as its spores will spread. You can also use an emeralt crab, but they are not 100% effective.

I am more concerned with the bubbles in your sandbed, and the diatom growth. Definately symptoms of too much light

waynemah
01-30-2013, 03:37 PM
I am more concerned with the bubbles in your sandbed, and the diatom growth. Definately symptoms of too much light

I had exactly the same type of problem in my tank and chased it for months. Eventually it just went away on its own. I have almost the same size of tank with similar flow and led lighting. From what I've read and experienced this is sometimes part of the maturing process.

That being said, too much light will only accelerate the diatom bloom.

RPatsula
01-30-2013, 03:43 PM
I think I can take that one piece of live rock out and scrape the bubble algae off.
My radions are at full intensity using the natural lighting pattern. I never know what type of custom pattern to create. Waynemah, do you have radions as well if so what intensity are you using? I'll think I'll turn mine down to 80%.

thanks
Rick

Seriak
01-30-2013, 04:54 PM
I had mine turned down to 40% and slowly had them up to about 65 now and it grows everything really well. 80% may still be too high.

RPatsula
01-30-2013, 05:04 PM
Here is my lighting and live rock placement so far. the picture isn't the best. I'll turn the lighting intensity down quite a bit.
http://i1296.photobucket.com/albums/ag18/Rick_Patsula/Aquarium10_zps36d76cf1.jpg

waynemah
01-30-2013, 06:53 PM
I believe 80% is a lot for radions. There was a good radion setup thread going around that could help you out. Sorry I don't have a link at this time.

waynemah
01-30-2013, 06:54 PM
Beautiful setup by the way!

RPatsula
01-30-2013, 09:49 PM
thank-you...it sure has been a steep learning curve. i sure use canreef alot for guidance.

Trabby
01-30-2013, 09:59 PM
Emerald crabs will take care of small bubble algae. But if I see it I still pick it out without bursting it
We have found the emerald crabs very efficient, infact never realized how much work they do until we didnt have one in the tank. Tank looks awesome by the way!!

RPatsula
01-31-2013, 01:12 PM
Thank you everyone for your suggestions. I was able to pull the piece of live rock out and remove the algae manually. It was interesting because I punctured one of the bulbs and it squirted all over my workbench, thank God I had it outside of the aquarium.

I searched through the message board to find the Radeon thread. I was able to come up with a different profile for my lights. I hope it stops the bubbles in the sand and the red algae growth. I think I will look through the lighting posts and see if there's more information on Radeon profiles.

I started into this hobby with very little experience with aquariums. I find that the CanReef message board is great for advice and suggestions. Now that I have figured out how to use photo bucket, I will post pictures of my build. My tank and stand is a work in progress but I am happy with it.

Once again thank you
Rick