PDA

View Full Version : Hammer Receeding

Seriak
01-30-2013, 02:08 PM
I finally found an orange hammer and got it home almost a week ago but it has started to lose some of its tissue. I think about half the wall hammer has started to show its skeleton. Is there anything I can do to stop this slow death or should I just pull it from my tank now. I don't see any brown jelly at this point and I do have it in a low flow area. All parameters are fine except Ca which is on the low side (350ish). All other corals are doing fine, atm.

jorjef
01-30-2013, 03:54 PM
The same thing has happened to me, almost aways on wall hammers. My scenario goes from all fine, slightly deflated area to flesh just disappearing. It will move along the wall and more flesh will just slough off. I always keep the effected area clean and hope brown jelly doesn't pop up, if it does I suck off with a small 1/4" hose that I run through an acrylic tube which really helps in controlling that I don't vacuum up healthy tissue. Sometimes it just stops on it's own and have had some success in the coral regrowing on the skeleton, others I have had to toss.. I would just watch closely and cross your fingers... I know real insight lol... I have no answer for the question on cause other than I believe my alk may have been too low, below 8.

Borderjumper
01-30-2013, 03:59 PM
I've never had much luck with wall hammers once they start to go.. I've tried just dipping them and I've also tried cutting off the bad and dipping them. neither did much except prolong their demise a little.

Good luck!

Seriak
01-30-2013, 04:03 PM
That's pretty much what I have found. I will pray for the best, but at this rate it should be gone in a day or two. :(