PDA

View Full Version : what next?

08arcticcat
01-29-2013, 09:57 PM
I have a 40g saltwater tank currently running. I used 40lbs of all base rock with no Live Rock. Water parameters are ok for a FO system, Ammonia 0, nitrite 0, but nitrates are always around 40-60. I have a Coralife super skimmer 65. there is 2 clowns, a yellow tail damsel and a small yellow Gobby and some crabs.

I want to get some plant life such as cheato or halimeda in my tank. (im one of few that has ZERO issues with nuisance algae, or any algae for that matter) So Im asking about lighting and possibly adding 2-5lbs of Live Rock. Ive been looking into a t5 setup but is it necessary if i dont want corals??

I want to be able to master this 40g before i step up to a larger tank with a sump. I do not want to venture into the coral world at all.

somewherebeyondthesea
01-29-2013, 10:49 PM
i probly look at a lower end LED then if you don't want coral, the nitrate params seem high to me though... how long have you had the tank up?

where are you located? some LFS have various macro algae,and many canreefers put them up for sale during the warmer months.

08arcticcat
01-29-2013, 11:34 PM
"i probly look at a lower end LED then if you don't want coral, the nitrate params seem high to me though... how long have you had the tank up?

where are you located? some LFS have various macro algae,and many canreefers put them up for sale during the warmer months."

The tank is coming up a year old. I usually get all my stuff from big Al's in edmonton because its easy for me to run into edmonton and pick supplies up.