PDA

View Full Version : How long for toadstool to extend tentacles?

Baldy
01-29-2013, 01:36 AM
I bought a toadstool leather on saturday that was probably 4" across in the sellers tank and nicely extended. I acclimated it and used revive before adding it to my tank. so far ive seen it extend about half of what it was in the store, and only for about half the day. tonight it retracted around 7pm and is still completely retracted. is something wrong or am i being impatient?

e46er
01-29-2013, 01:40 AM
Give it some time it's still getting used to a new environment

AdamsB
01-29-2013, 01:53 AM
When I first added mine it was about 3 days before I saw any form of activity and that was when it shed its skin. I'm not sure if it was a coincidence or if shedding the skin helped it adapt. I had mine delivered by airplane so it could have been a little more traumatized. But yeah just give it a little time and it should be fine.

spit.fire
01-29-2013, 06:26 AM
I found whenever I move a leather it takes a few days to extend and they always seem to shed for me

xenon
01-29-2013, 06:47 AM
It could need some time to settle in but it could also be unhappy for some reason.

What are your tank parameters?
Do they fluctuate much on a daily basis?

Baldy
01-29-2013, 11:51 AM
parameters:
calc - 420
alk - 8.5
mag - 1250
nitrate - 0
phos - 0.03
ph - 7.8-8.0 (swings between those two sometimes daily sometimes not)
temp - 79

75g mixed reef with 20g sump. all my fish are in qt atm for ich so the tank is currently fish free. ive been feeding corals every couple days to try and maintain biological filtration. I top off with rodi as well.

Baldy
02-02-2013, 06:42 PM
ok now im a little worried. just took this pic this morning

http://i924.photobucket.com/albums/ad90/Forced__Induction/CIMG2018_zps6d53c293.jpg

11purewater
02-02-2013, 09:18 PM
give some time,stalk looks healthy.just keep the skin clean:smile:

xenon
02-02-2013, 09:34 PM
Magnesium is a little low but I doubt that's your issue.

Your parameters are ideal for SPS but may be too nutrient poor for soft corals.

Having a mixed reef is tough!

Baldy
02-02-2013, 10:39 PM
i just recently started dosing for magnesium so im working on bringing it up but im not doing it fast. I never thought i would have a problem with not enough nutrients lol. i had a cyano problem until earlier in jan when i treated with chemiclean. i started using chaeto on a reverse light cycle as well as the GFO that ive been running for a while. Ive never had an issue with nitrates ever. i ran biopellets for a while and reduced things too much and ever since taking them off the tank growth has been much better, but still havent seen any sign of nitrates.

im nervous about doing it but maybe i should back off the water changes and let nitrated rise just a smidge?

paddyob
02-02-2013, 10:56 PM
Toadstool tend to like higher flow. I had a huge one in the past that would only open if it was in direct flow. It was huge.

xenon
02-02-2013, 11:13 PM
i just recently started dosing for magnesium so im working on bringing it up but im not doing it fast. I never thought i would have a problem with not enough nutrients lol. i had a cyano problem until earlier in jan when i treated with chemiclean. i started using chaeto on a reverse light cycle as well as the GFO that ive been running for a while. Ive never had an issue with nitrates ever. i ran biopellets for a while and reduced things too much and ever since taking them off the tank growth has been much better, but still havent seen any sign of nitrates.

im nervous about doing it but maybe i should back off the water changes and let nitrated rise just a smidge?

Wow, that's allot of changes in a short time. It's a good idea to only change 1 thing at a time to see the effects the change made.

I always prefer a very small detectable amount of NO3/PO4.

Baldy
02-02-2013, 11:53 PM
The biopellets came off back in April, the mag dosing started in the beginning of Dec, but I had been manually dosing a bit before that. The chaeto was put in right before Christmas to try and remedy the cyano. I was getting 0 nitrates and phos but bad cyano during the day so I tried chaeto and had been running gfo for a long time already. So the changes have been spread out. The mag has climbed 50-100ppm in the last month so it's not changing too much.

I'm with you as well and don't make too many changes too fast but something bad to be done about.the cyano and gfo and chaeto weren't doing much. Since using chemiclean I haven't had a bit of cyano return and I actually get a reading of phos even if it's a little bit. Before it wasn't reading any at all.

Something tells me id need to pull the cheato out in order for nitrates to come up as it grows pretty quick. It grew 4-5x its size in the first month.

i have crabs
02-03-2013, 12:15 AM
What gfo are you using? Toadstools are sensitive to aluminum which some gfo has in it, I've also found mine tend to close up when the salinity gets high right before I need to top up the water

Baldy
02-03-2013, 01:47 AM
I use brs gfo. I use them for calc alk and mag as well. And I have an ato that tops off before any swings happen.

nitro069
02-03-2013, 02:10 AM
when i put my toadstool in my tank it was almost dead from a system crash off a guy i know. he gave it to me to see if it would live. took about two weeks befor its tenticals came out and now after about 2 months it is doing awesome. from what i can see they can take alot of abuse and will survive. give it some time, let it get used to its new environment and it should be ok.

i have crabs
02-03-2013, 02:25 AM
Brs gfo is fine, I think phosguard is the most common stuff that still uses aluminum, it should do fine under any flow, I wouldn't stress about it but maybe take a turkey baster and blast it off every day and make sure it gets lots of light