PDA

View Full Version : Cleaner Shrimp and Crocea

ABreefkpr
05-15-2004, 04:37 AM
My cleaners are picking on the clam. :eek: Is this normal or will this injure the clam? It's been going on now for about 3 or 4 days.

Keith

EmilyB
05-15-2004, 06:12 AM
Cleaner shrimp will not harm a healthy clam.

LostMind
05-15-2004, 06:30 AM
my cleaners leave my clams alone.

ABreefkpr
05-15-2004, 03:18 PM
The clam is healthy but the one cleaner keeps digging around the mantle area just where the shell halves meet. I don't know for sure if it is picking at the mantle or just the shell, but once in a while the clam will shut right up in reaction. The shrimp that is doing this won't let the other shrimp near. :confused:

Delphinus
05-15-2004, 04:46 PM
Sounds like they know something you don't. They will leave healthy clams alone. He could be picking at critters hiding in the shell, or he could be picking on the clam itself.

If it seems to be annoying the clam, I would separate them (different tanks, or different compartments or whatever). If the clam is not looking worse for wear, you could let it be. But keep an eye on things.

ABreefkpr
05-15-2004, 06:42 PM
Sounds like they know something you don't. They will leave healthy clams alone. He could be picking at critters hiding in the shell, or he could be picking on the clam itself.

If it seems to be annoying the clam, I would separate them (different tanks, or different compartments or whatever). If the clam is not looking worse for wear, you could let it be. But keep an eye on things.

That's kind of what I was thinking. The clam hasn't been in the tank all that long (2 weeks) and has anchored itself to the rock it was placed on. It still opens and looks great except for where the shrimp hangs out, but that doesn't look damaged. Possibly critters in the shell. I will do what you suggest and keep an eye on the clam and separate them if it comes to that.

ABreefkpr
06-06-2004, 03:29 PM
Removed the shrimp and clam has made a full recovery. :biggrin:

Keith