PDA

View Full Version : Cool Article

Jaws
01-28-2013, 05:31 AM
I saw this on an episode of Ocean Adventure so I decided to Google it. Turns out there's quite a few cool articles about it. The question is, can you apply it to frag tanks since applying it to your actual reef would be extremely difficult and could cause damage.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/22111204/ns/us_news-environment/t/coral-reefs-rebuilt-current-electric-kind/#.UQYb5Gt5mSM

Duker
01-28-2013, 07:44 PM
Wouldn't that be sweeeeet!

spit.fire
01-28-2013, 08:59 PM
Time to take my ground probe out of my tank?

Jaws
01-28-2013, 09:04 PM
Time to take my ground probe out of my tank?

Makes you wonder doesn't it. Because the ocean's huge, i'm sure it dicipates fast enough that it's not harmful and I have no doubt that electricity in a closed system is harmful to you and your fish but if you could find a way to introduce it in small enough controlled doses to an isolated frag tank, could you make it work?

ChizerBunoi
01-28-2013, 09:06 PM
"When they get the juice, they are not as stressed."

spit.fire
01-28-2013, 09:12 PM
Makes you wonder doesn't it. Because the ocean's huge, i'm sure it dicipates fast enough that it's not harmful and I have no doubt that electricity in a closed system is harmful to you and your fish but if you could find a way to introduce it in small enough controlled doses to an isolated frag tank, could you make it work?

Well from what I've read about stray electrical current I haven't read much stating the effects on coral. Just fish

Although I'm guessing and any stray electrical charges in our tanks would be ac where as they're using solar panels which I'm pretty sure put out dc

For halibut and salmon fishing we used to use a device that would put out a very small dc charge through the downrigger lines which would attract fish

ScubaSteve
01-28-2013, 09:34 PM
I experimented with this a couple of years ago. It's tough to control in closed systems as it produces chlorine gas, which as you might guess brings with it a lot of problems. I did see better encrusting, but I wasn't sure if this was due to the electric charge or due to having a better substrate. I wasn't able to run it long enough to see what other growth effects it had. It did however eat calcium and magnesium like crazy since it deposits on the electrode.