PDA

View Full Version : When Corals Go Crazy!!!

04V10
01-26-2013, 10:59 PM
Hey everybody,

I thought I'd just post on how when corals begin to grow, that it throws a system of balance quite outta whack!!! lol

My params were running pretty steady at 1340 Mg, 440 Ca, and 8.4dKH for the longest time. However, in the last month my sps colonies have decided to go nuts! This has been dropping params that I haven't been prepared for.

For example, in the last week, my Ca dropped from 410ppm to 385ppm. My dKh went from 8.4 to 7.8 I have been adjusting my doser to just try and level off my params..lol.

Do you guys find the same thing? My setup is only a 20gal, so yes any growth is going to affect params.

One good thing coming out of it is I will be fraggin some sps soon!! So keep your eyes open in the For Sale section.

daniella3d
01-27-2013, 03:02 AM
I have to dose 100 ml of alkalinity and calcium each day..so if I don't do that it will drop very fast. Some of my SPS gros 1" per month, and they do consume a lot of elements, plus 4 clams and all other corals. I have to dose not only calcium, alkalinity but also trace elements.

xenon
01-27-2013, 03:38 AM
It makes perfect sense. The bigger your corals grow, the more they will consume and the more you will need to dose. :)

That is why testing at least once per week is required.

Sounds to me like you are doing it right!