PDA

View Full Version : Washing filter socks

tyke1962
01-26-2013, 04:31 PM
I read that you can wash filter socks in the washing machine, is this possible ? Do you put it on cold ? Is'nt there residual detergents left in the washer that would harm the tank?
Would be interested to find out, Tyke.

tim the toolman
01-26-2013, 04:52 PM
Don't use detergent!!!
Just a regular wash with a bit of bleach (optional) and usually two rinse cycles.

SteveConn
01-26-2013, 07:02 PM
I use a little bleach with washing soda (unscented). Extra rinse or two (I dont want to smell much bleach when done) and let air dry for a few days. No issues.

Reef Pilot
01-26-2013, 07:15 PM
This was recently discussed in this thread.
http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=91807&page=4

I wasn't sure either if it was safe, so I started using a product from the local pool and spa shop called Aqua Neutralizer which removes chlorine and bromine from water. It contains sodium sulphite. It seems to work as the socks no longer carry the bleach smell after a soak in water with Aqua Neutralizer. I still let them dry out well before use again.

Whiston
01-26-2013, 09:01 PM
This is all news to me.
I thought they were single use and have been disposing of them.
I knew this was an expensive hobby, but this was getting ridiculous!

tim the toolman
01-26-2013, 09:37 PM
This is all news to me.
I thought they were single use and have been disposing of them.
I knew this was an expensive hobby, but this was getting ridiculous!

Are you serious I can't tell if your being sarcastic or not.

toxic111
01-26-2013, 09:49 PM
I just throw them in the washer with baking soda. Works great.

tyke1962
01-27-2013, 01:26 AM
Thanks for your advise will try some of those suggestions next time I clean one.
You for real Whiston ?

Whiston
01-27-2013, 05:10 AM
No, I do wash mine. I was having a little light hearted fun.
It did take me a while to figure it out though. Before I went to socks, I couldn't figure out why anyone would buy a single sock over a huge bag of filter floss for the same price.

uslanja
01-27-2013, 11:34 AM
We soak our socks in a bucket of 10% bleach solution for a couple of days then let them drain off for a few seconds before throwing them into the washing machine. Nothing added to the machine just water and run the socks through the full cycle a few times to give the bleach a good rinse out. Air dry and use as needed. Surprising how much stuff is at the bottom of the bleach bucket. The used bleach gets poured out on the stone driveway where ever a weed or two might be poking up.

Madmak
01-27-2013, 06:33 PM
I soak my socks in a bucket of 10% bleach solution for a couple of days then let them drain off for a few seconds before throwing them into the washing machine. Nothing added to the machine just water and run the socks through the full cycle two times to give the bleach a good rinse out. Air dry and use as needed. Surprising how much stuff is at the bottom of the bleach bucket.

+1