PDA

View Full Version : DIY tank

NIVLEM09
01-26-2013, 02:03 AM
Yellow,Reefers.i'm planning to build a tank dimensions are 36x24x22 with external overflow and sump will be 20x18x16,no design for the sump yet.anyone from the GVRD know of a place where i can get glass panels and willing to help with the build?as this will be my first attempt,also what thickness should i go for,for this tank size.suggestions,pls?thank you

monocus
01-26-2013, 03:02 AM
use the aquarium glass thickness calculator and use a safty factor of 4.i get my glass from action glass -only because it's close to me in burnaby.i also get them to order in my silicone-newflex 333 aquarium.if you need help i can give you a hand

NIVLEM09
01-26-2013, 04:07 AM
thanks,man...i may take you up on that:biggrin:use the aquarium glass thickness calculator and use a safty factor of 4.i get my glass from action glass -only because it's close to me in burnaby.i also get them to order in my silicone-newflex 333 aquarium.if you need help i can give you a hand

NIVLEM09
01-26-2013, 04:20 AM
so,according to the aquarium building calculator for a 36x24x22 tank,i'd need a 10 mm thick glass panels.what are the pros and cons of an external overflows ,as well as internal?

ScubaSteve
01-26-2013, 05:00 AM
so,according to the aquarium building calculator for a 36x24x22 tank,i'd need a 10 mm thick glass panels.what are the pros and cons of an external overflows ,as well as internal?

Personally I prefer external overflows. They look better and give you more precious real estate. I'm my opinion they also offer better surface skimmer (I won't go into the fluid dynamics of it, but trust me on this). Problem with them is that they stick out the back of your tank, so it occupies real estate outside of the tank. If you've got the room to have an overflow hanging out the back, go with the external. If you're more picky and want everything self-contained withing the foot print of the tank, go internal.

I would love to come give you a hand as I love building tanks, but I am unfortunately balls deep in trying to wrap up my PhD as well as launch a new product. However, if you have any engineering questions about tanks feel free to PM me. I'm pretty good at designing the overflows (in fact look for some of the beananimal overflow threads and you'll see all the calculations and such) and can definitely give you a hand there. For glass, try Niki Glass. They do decent prices. If you can, try to deal with the factory out in Burnaby rather than dealing with their shop in North Van. The chick who runs the NV studio is a total **** wit.

NIVLEM09
01-26-2013, 05:21 AM
Thanks for the comment,Scuba:biggrin: i personally like the external overflow as you've stated-more room inside the tank for aquacaping and what not.i have many challenges in this particular project of mine,as it's a build of a real aquarium for me.i have everything HOB ATM which limits me from adding accesories and such.well.if you are up for the challenge on your spare time(i'm not imposing)you can design my sump and overflow to however you see fit.i should introduce you to my youngest brother as he himself is going to be a doctor in about a year.he is in town for five months doing his doctor thing at St Pauls hospital then he goes back to Australia to finish up.so,what's this product you mentioned?tPersonally I prefer external overflows. They look better and give you more precious real estate. I'm my opinion they also offer better surface skimmer (I won't go into the fluid dynamics of it, but trust me on this). Problem with them is that they stick out the back of your tank, so it occupies real estate outside of the tank. If you've got the room to have an overflow hanging out the back, go with the external. If you're more picky and want everything self-contained withing the foot print of the tank, go internal.

I would love to come give you a hand as I love building tanks, but I am unfortunately balls deep in trying to wrap up my PhD as well as launch a new product. However, if you have any engineering questions about tanks feel free to PM me. I'm pretty good at designing the overflows (in fact look for some of the beananimal overflow threads and you'll see all the calculations and such) and can definitely give you a hand there. For glass, try Niki Glass. They do decent prices. If you can, try to deal with the factory out in Burnaby rather than dealing with their shop in North Van. The chick who runs the NV studio is a total **** wit.

monocus
01-26-2013, 02:43 PM
all my tanks i've built have stockman standpipes and i make my own overflows with pvc.if your out in the burnaby area you can pop by and see some of the tanks i've built.i also have different sizes of hole saws if you need them-604 753 4529

NIVLEM09
01-26-2013, 11:03 PM
Thank you for the generous offer.im working 6 days this week so maybe on my day off,my gf and i can stop by:mrgreen: i've contacted capilano glass and got a quote 10 mm thick,non temper 1 @36x24-$96,2 @24x22-- $117.35 and 2 @36x22-$176 is that reasonable?i have yet to contact the two other places recommended to me.all my tanks i've built have stockman standpipes and i make my own overflows with pvc.if your out in the burnaby area you can pop by and see some of the tanks i've built.i also have different sizes of hole saws if you need them-604 753 4529

StirCrazy
01-26-2013, 11:49 PM
well seeing as you can buy 90 non standard (36 x 24 x 24) for about 450, I don't know, I would shop around a bit more.

if that had the notching for your external over flow and any holes drilled that you need for returns, well wouldn't be to bad. check with some actual tank builders also and see what there prices are for what you want and compair them

Steve

NIVLEM09
01-27-2013, 03:41 AM
it's another option im considering but as you said,i'll shop around.thank youwell seeing as you can buy 90 non standard (36 x 24 x 24) for about 450, I don't know, I would shop around a bit more.

if that had the notching for your external over flow and any holes drilled that you need for returns, well wouldn't be to bad. check with some actual tank builders also and see what there prices are for what you want and compair them

Steve

e46er
01-28-2013, 10:16 PM
Those prices seem high to me......

NIVLEM09
01-29-2013, 02:29 AM
Are they?i'm not really sure about the prices for glass panels:redface: the last place i talked to today quoted me $559+hst.i could buy a 75 gallon+stand at jl for less.know of a place where i can get glass panels?Those prices seem high to me......

intarsiabox
01-29-2013, 02:58 AM
I got my last tank custom built for $500. It was 36"x24"x20" with starphire glass on front and sides, polished edges as well as a coast to coast external overflow. I went completely rimless/braceless so the glass was thicker to compensate, it was 1/2" so I imagine 12mm if I was to order the glass myself. I would call around to get some quotes on custom built tanks as well as it seems that the glass companies are charging the same or more than an already built and drilled tank.