PDA

View Full Version : Can left over bleach in Filter Sock cause Ammonia?

LeanneP
01-25-2013, 10:51 PM
I just put a new filter sock that I had soaked in bleach and rinsed by hand several times. I couldn't smell bleach any more. This is the first time I used bleach and within a couple of hours of replacing the sock my corals and anenome closed up and are not looking happy. I just tested for ammonia and I now have 0.1. I have added carbon and an ammonia pad and am going to a water change as soon as possible. I did forget to turn my sump back on for a few hours a few days ago and the tank dropped a few degrees. Is it just a coincidence about the filter sock and I am having a mini cycle from the sump not running or can left over bleach cause ammonia in the tank?

Leanne P

Borderjumper
01-25-2013, 11:00 PM
It could I guess. How long was the sump off? You could have a little die off from the return line being dry if it was overnight or so.

Why did you bleach your filter sock? Weekly I toss mine in the washer and run them thru two cycles.. No soap no bleach. I don't have the need to have them come out pure white.:mrgreen:

LeanneP
01-25-2013, 11:08 PM
Sump was only off for about four hours. I used bleach cause that was what people were saying on here. This has kind of freaked me out though. I don't think I am going to use bleach any more.

Proteus
01-25-2013, 11:26 PM
I bleach mine but there rinsed 2x. And dried before use. Never had a issue

Borderjumper
01-25-2013, 11:34 PM
I just don't see a reason to bleach them..the hot fresh water will kill off anything left in them.. All the bleach does it make them sparkly white.. I can deal with off white filter socks :razz:

subman
01-25-2013, 11:45 PM
i used to bleach my socks for years in the washing machine with no extra rinses. never had a problem

reefermadness
01-25-2013, 11:54 PM
From my understanding the ammonia will evaporate faster than the water so if the sock is dry than i dont think its possible.

Cal_stir
01-26-2013, 03:32 AM
+1, let it dry and ammonia is gone

kien
01-26-2013, 03:47 AM
I think the consensus is that you can bleach your socks if you want to but you don't *have to*. There are tonnes of people who do and tonnes who don't. If you do then you just have to make sure it's rinsed out adequately. In theory residual bleach could kill smaller organisms resulting in ammonia.