PDA

View Full Version : Calcium Question

tim the toolman
01-25-2013, 06:54 PM
So I hadn't checked my cal in a while and had continued on with my regular maintenance schedule. This morning I noticed my toadstool looked a little ****ed off so I ran full tests on parameters. I ended up with

Nitrates 0
Nitrites 0
Ammonia 0
Phos 0
Cal 530 ppm
Alk 11 dkh
salinity 1.025

Should these high levels of cal/alk be a concern or should I just not dose for a couple days? I was planning on doing a 35g water change tonight anyways.

Nitrate nitrite ammonia and Phos were tested with API kit. Cal and Alk both with Hanna and Refractometer for salinity.

tim the toolman
01-25-2013, 06:57 PM
Should add that my tank has several sps with several lps and a few softies.

subman
01-25-2013, 07:11 PM
They are both a little on the high side but the key s they are BOTH on the high side. They are in balance so IMHO it should be ok.
Are you running zeo or any other programs?

tim the toolman
01-25-2013, 07:12 PM
No zeo. Just bio pellets, and carbon.

tim the toolman
01-25-2013, 07:14 PM
Ph did register a touch low though. About 8 even

subman
01-25-2013, 07:20 PM
I asked about zeo because I have read zeo and high alk can cause burned sps tips. I think it's ok and I've read I am numerous places high ca and alk can cause amazing coral growth.

subman
01-25-2013, 07:23 PM
I've never paid any attention to ph so no help there

tim the toolman
01-25-2013, 07:24 PM
Ok cool. I'm not over worried then. My sps look good and if a couple softies die off......well that's more room for sps :razz: Not that I want any die off.

subman
01-25-2013, 07:25 PM
Is the toady shedding maybe?

tim the toolman
01-25-2013, 07:27 PM
I thought hat at first but when I gave it a light blast with my baster a couple chunks blew off. I've got a devils hand right next to the toad and it looks normal.

TimT
01-25-2013, 07:28 PM
Water changes are always a good idea. After the water change make sure the Magnesium is 3 times the Calcium. If the Mag is less than 3x Calcium you run the risk of Calcium build ups on the pump magnets, heaters and even the tank glass.

tim the toolman
01-25-2013, 07:31 PM
That's actually a test kit I do not have. Good call on that I should probably grab one.

waynemah
01-25-2013, 07:32 PM
I generally give a couple of days to determine if a coral is actually stressed. I have a plate that looks like it's ready to die a few times per month, then bounces back within the next couple of days.

Like Subman said, your calcium and alk are balanced. If your dosing, step it back a notch or two and find the right quantity for your tank.

Nitrate and Phosphate at 0 looks good on paper, but from my understanding when using Biopellets or Zeovit you should have a traceable amount. I've used every kit on the market and found Elos to be the most accurate for a low nutrient tank.

tim the toolman
01-25-2013, 07:35 PM
Yeah I agree that the API kits are nowhere near the best going. I just have a very ritualistic approach to my maintenance/feelings and have never had any issues with any of the main 4 (trates, trites, ammo, Phos) so I've never put much effort into precise monitoring. And since I saw your tank Wayne I have stepped up my water changes a little.

waynemah
01-25-2013, 07:50 PM
Yeah I agree that the API kits are nowhere near the best going. I just have a very ritualistic approach to my maintenance/feelings and have never had any issues with any of the main 4 (trates, trites, ammo, Phos) so I've never put much effort into precise monitoring. And since I saw your tank Wayne I have stepped up my water changes a little.

Good to hear! (and thanks! :)) I believe your on the right track. I'd bet that it'll be fine... TimT has a good point about mag, I found the red sea kit the easiest for testing mag.

tim the toolman
01-25-2013, 07:55 PM
I just remembered that the equipment I'm selling for my buddy Allan ha a red sea pro mag test kit in it. SOLD lol