PDA

View Full Version : Adding dead rock

canadianbudz604
01-24-2013, 05:23 AM
I added 2lbs of dead live rock rubble that was taken out of my old tank like 6 months ago to my 30g reef today. The Rock was outside the whole time. I dried it out for 4 or 5 days, then I rinsed it off with ro water and toothbrushed off anything I could get off and threw it in. Is this going to cause my tank to crash or cycle? Did I mess up big time? My tank has 30 lbs of rock and is stocked with palys, softies, lps, and some easy sps. Plus 2 clowns, 2 clown gobys, and a cleaner shrimp. Help?

duncangweller
01-24-2013, 05:41 AM
There is a possibility the tank could go through a bit of a cycle as there is a possibilty there could still be some die off from goodies in the rock that may have stayed in place even though you thoroughly cleaned it.

Perhaps keep an eye on parameters to make sure you don't get any spikes.

Sent from my HTC Incredible S using Tapatalk 2

Madmak
01-24-2013, 05:43 AM
I wouldn't worry about it at all, everything on or in the rock has been dead for a long time. Only issue would come from some kind of contamination from being outside or from cleaning. A bit of live rock rubble is typically a good addition to any system.

Madmak
01-24-2013, 05:51 AM
We posted at the same time...

I would think that after 6 Canadian months outside it should be pretty dead but I may be wrong, never a bad idea to keep a close eye on things.

asylumdown
01-24-2013, 02:55 PM
It really depends on how much rubble we're talking about vs how much matured live rock you've already got. It's been my experience that a mature system with enough rock for it's volume and occupants is pretty resilient, as it's got a whole battery of processes in place to deal with waste above and beyond the nitrogen cycle. You've also got thousands and thousands of teeny little critters that will go to work eating anything organic before it breaks down in to ammonia. If you're talking a relatively small amount of rubble compared to what's already in there, you're likely not going to notice a thing except for the gradual colonization of life back on to the rubble.

If you're really worried test for ammonia a couple of times over the next couple of days. If you see any sort of colour change, do a water change and add some prime, but I bet you'll be fine.

canadianbudz604
01-24-2013, 04:10 PM
I've got 35lbs of rock and I put 2lbs of rubble most of it in the hob filter with my chaeto I hope it doesn't mess it up thanks for the help

Skimmerking
01-24-2013, 04:24 PM
I've got 35lbs of rock and I put 2lbs of rubble most of it in the hob filter with my chaeto I hope it doesn't mess it up thanks for the help
that isnt going to have a huge impact on your system. I wouldnt worry about it. Well I wouldnt you might but i wouldnt

Wayne
01-25-2013, 03:55 AM
With it being dead 6 months I would just rinse it in r/o water again, let it soak overnight in clean water and you should be fine :)