PDA

View Full Version : Reef Octopus NWB150

menno
01-24-2013, 04:17 AM
Does anyone have any experience with these? Good bad, or other recommendation from a similar pricepoint for a 100G?

martinmcnally
01-24-2013, 08:12 AM
I have not used that one but if you are getting one new I would go with the bubble blaster pump. I've been using various Reef Octopus skimmers for years now. Never had an issue, they perform really well. I have no reason ever to switch brands.

I'm using this one with the head cleaner attachment:
http://www.saltysupply.com/Super-Reef-Octopus-XP-3000-Internal-p/oc8113.htm

Produces some nice brown smelly goo!

rburns24
01-24-2013, 06:56 PM
They work fine, but take a fair while to break in.

globaldesigns
01-24-2013, 07:37 PM
I have the sss-3000int... As stated prior, take forever to break in. I have been battling with mine now for about 2-3 months. Finally just starting to get it to create skimmate.

I found that in my case for my model. When I tried to run it in the recommended water depth, it was not stable. The unit just could not hold a steady water lever, thus not able to create any foam/skimmate.

I just took it off the stand I built to keep it at the recommended depth, now running it about 8 inches of water instead of 6-6.5 and it is running much better, will have to see over the next few days how it does actually work.

Edit: The bubble blaster pump seems to be great, powerful, and very very quite

martinmcnally
01-24-2013, 07:46 PM
If you rub the inside of the skimmer with vinegar then rinse it all out that cuts the break in time down to around 1 week.