PDA

View Full Version : best sump/ filtration

Amadod2
01-23-2013, 04:14 PM
i am in the process of setting up a 75g tank, its mostly going to be sps with a few fish, i was wondering which sump/filtration method is best or recommended? i have heard not to use a wet dry system and i have heard to use one, the same goes with a refugium. i would love to hear your thoughts and experiences. thanks

duncangweller
01-23-2013, 04:25 PM
Hi,

I have a 75 gal with a 33 gallon sump (it was the biggest I could fit in my stand). I have the skimmer on the main drain section, the return pump in the middle and a refugium on the right.

The main drain carries 75% of the water and branches off to the refugium which carries 25% of the water.

I refugium has exploded with pods as there are no predators in there. Every now and then a handful of them get swept up by the return pump and find their way into the display where they become free food or find a place to hide/reproduce in the rock work.

The setup seems to work really well and is effortless to maintain.

I'll attach a pic when I get home if it would help.

Also, Google 'Melevs Reef Sump' and you will find more info on sumps than I could e er provide.

Dunc

Sent from my HTC Incredible S using Tapatalk 2

jakejake
01-23-2013, 04:30 PM
Also interested as moving to a 75 gal from all in one system!

claymax
01-23-2013, 04:30 PM
im not an expert here, but i think the consensus is that wet/dry are not recommended for sps systems, as they tend to be nitrate factories. refugiums arent uncommon but i dont think they can pull out quite enough nitrate/phosphates on its own that an sps system would require. an oversized skimmer(twice total system volume), and alot of quality live rock would be a good way to start. the nice part of starting with a big skimmer is it allows you to dabble in some v/s/v, prodibo, and zeo systems later on.

add in a gfo reactor and you should be set.

also, algae turf scrubbers are worth a look into, as there seems to be some success behind those as well.