PDA

View Full Version : Calgary Reef Club

danny zubot
05-13-2004, 02:27 PM
For anyone in the Calgary region interested in starting\joining a reef keepers club, please answer the poll.

Your feed back is welcome!

Delphinus
05-13-2004, 03:13 PM
I answered "yes" but ... thought I should point out, we kind of do already have a club. :biggrin: But I'm assuming you mean formalizing the group, making more regular meetings (we have regular meetings at irregular intervals), and, perhaps MAC registry, etc., and so on.

Currently the focus of the group entails group orders, sharing of knowledge, trading of frags and equipment, etc., and generally speaking this forum here is our focal point. To take it "to the next level" (so to speak), we sort of need to define what we want that next level to be. If we are talking about bringing in guest speakers from out of town (which has been sort of one of my eventual, but long-term goals), be prepared that this sort of thing costs money. Are we ready to start funding our efforts with a membership drive (and potentially other means as well)?

At the last meeting we had some 30, possibly 40 people (just by my guess). If everyone ponied up $20, that's $600 to $800, which is, I don't know but I'm guessing, halfway (or more?) of purchasing an airline ticket. Then we could truly consider maybe bringing in someone like Calfo, or Borneman, or Toonen or Delbeek.

But the flip side is, if you get 30 or 40 people with buy-in, you decide to go ahead, but then suddenly only 10 people show up for the meeting. Who covers the shortfall? As a society we will need to be prepared for this sort of thing.

Truthfully, I'm not certain we're really ready to bring in speakers yet. So that scenario is a long way's off, in my view. But we could make it our goal to still formalize, and see what kind of membership we could organize.

Basically, the thought I want to leave you with, is this. Wanting to start a club is pretty easy to do. But are you willing to pay for a club? That's the real question I think we all need to look at. And time. Are we ready to make a time commitment as well?

Obviously, a club that takes your money needs accountability; and that means registration (I think with the province, or maybe the city .. I don't know .. as a non-profit society), plus a executive council .... Positions such as president, vice-president, and treasurer, and event coordinator; would be my guess for the executive positions. At least for a start. Plus an agreement for a date that an annual general meeting can be held for elections.

Plus, I think we would want to arrange for an affiliation, at least a loose one, with the Calgary Aquarium Society. We're not trying to compete with them, but if we don't get buy-in, we could be perceived as such.

See? This could be a lot of work. Are we ready for this?

I think I am. I'll buy into the process, because I believe that we are indeed approaching the point where we could make this fly.

But be warned, we'd have a lot of work ahead of us.

danny zubot
05-13-2004, 03:36 PM
Perhaps I was a little hasty in my efforts. Maybe what needs to be done is have small preliminary meetings to establish all of the outlining issues about starting an official club, sharing info about what would be needed, costs, legalities etc. It would be nice to be recognized as an organization. I wouldn't want to step on any toes either, but I feel that a "Reefers" club is more specialized than straight aquarium club. You can tell that I'm eager to be involved in something, so involve me!

Dan!

Delphinus
05-13-2004, 04:13 PM
Eager is good :cool:

About the Calgary Aquarium Society thing. You're right on the money here, we would be a club with a more specialized focus, there isn't (as I understand it) a lot of overlap. In fact, it's my understanding that the CAS is primarily a freshwater and FW/planted focus (although I am certain there are members with SW and reef tanks). But nevertheless, I feel that there should be a some kind of "dotted line" affiliation, because, well, just because we'd be "kin". :exclaim:

I'd be willing to host a business meeting (if you guys pretend not to notice the messy house). I'm thinking a weekend for this, this weekend is too short notice, the next weekend is the long weekend so let's consider that out (since some will be away for that). So how does Saturday May 29 sound?

danny zubot
05-13-2004, 04:24 PM
Saturday May 29th works for me(probly richtg as well), will you put out an announcement?

Quinn
05-13-2004, 04:38 PM
Maybe a bit more notice. How about later into June, like the 19th or 20th. Do we need a lawyer or something to help us do this? Do we have one?

Delphinus
05-13-2004, 08:16 PM
Three weeks isn't enough notice? :confused: Really??

christyf5
05-13-2004, 08:18 PM
Jeez Tony, haven't you been paying attention. You need at least 3 weeks to get this up to 5 pages first :razz:

danny zubot
05-13-2004, 08:20 PM
Are you going to be here Christy?

Delphinus
Dang it! I'm trying to AVOID a thread like that ... :lol:

... too late, I fear..

Quinn
Okay I think that was a cop-out and I was too lazy to check my calendar. I do have a previous engagement on the 29th though. :neutral:

christyf5
05-13-2004, 08:21 PM
Are you going to be here Christy?

Hmm, I'll have to work on that one :mrgreen:

Delphinus
05-13-2004, 08:22 PM
Well .. Ok then. I assume a weekend only works for you, or any other out-of-towners .. so that leaves Sunday the 30th, or indeed, sometime into June.

What about the first weekend of June? That would be June 5 or 6.

danny zubot
05-13-2004, 08:23 PM
Seriously though, the 29th is plenty of time for anyone INCalgary.
My place is too small to host and under renovations soon, are there any takers?

TANGOMAN
05-13-2004, 09:03 PM
I don't like the sounds of this...nope. Not one bit. It's a trap I tell ya'. Late June, :rolleyes: , that'll be about the time Tonys' moving expenses are paid,(beer, subs, pizza...). And if ya' don't know what the next project is, well, I'll tell ya'. LANDSCAPING :eek: . I vote for a meeting at Tonys, but definately not before November... :lol:

Canadian Man
05-13-2004, 10:12 PM
Sundays are alway's better for me.
:biggrin:

Quagmire
05-13-2004, 10:59 PM
I'm in,sounds like a great idea to me,just pick a weekend and I'll be there

Greg

Bob I
05-14-2004, 01:06 AM
Fall is best for me too. I have a lot to do with clubs, and you don't need a lawyer weasel. Draft up up a constitution and rudimentary bylaws. I can probably find that in Robert's Rules of Order. Elect a basic set of officers. If you want to incorporate under the Societies Act, you can get the rules from them. And away you go. :rolleyes:

Stretch
05-14-2004, 01:30 AM
Any date is fine with me.

richtg
05-16-2004, 11:12 PM
All I need is a few days' notice. The 29th works for me. Rich.

medican
05-17-2004, 12:37 AM
yup.......

A few days notice works good for me too :lol:

Richard

AJ_77
05-20-2004, 08:27 PM
First Odour of Business: maybe get a deal going on some bulk salt with an LFS that will work with the club, if our Vancouver order falls through...

Twenty buckets is a good order.

EmilyB
05-20-2004, 09:41 PM
First Odour of Business: maybe get a deal going on some bulk salt with an LFS that will work with the club, if our Vancouver order falls through...

Twenty buckets is a good order.

Oops, I did that in the other thread.