PDA

View Full Version : Help decide new skimmer

FrenchAchilles
01-22-2013, 07:39 PM
Hello I have to get a better skimmer. It has to be in sump and money does have a limit. I have a 300 gallon high bio load. One issue I have is my sump is a standard 55 gallon which I really can't change. I have really come down to two skimmers I am looking at:

The RLSS (Reef Life Support System) R8-i 8" Internal Cone Skimmer
Rated for 264-528 gallons (1000-2000 liters)
This is one of the new DC controllable pump models
http://reefsupplycanada.com/cgi-bin/p/awtp-product.cgi?d=reef-supply-canada&item=59251

Or
The SRO (Super Reef Octopus) 5000SSS
I need the space saver model due to how narrow the 55 gallons is.
Rated up to 400gal.
http://www.goreef.com/Super-Reef-Octopus-5000-SSS-Internal-Protein-Skimmer-400-Gallons.html

I am leaning towards the SRO just due to its has been around and tested. From the what I have read is a solid skimmer that is well like.
I am really interested thought in the new RLSS but not really sure I believe the rating when its looks to be such a small skimmer. Also with is being such a new tech not sure about jumping on the band wagon but from what I have read the few people who have it really like it and the pump apparently is dead silent which I am looking for a really quiet skimmer. From what I have been reading the size of the skimmer is not as important as the air rating hence the rlss rating.

What do you think?

KineticReef
01-22-2013, 08:04 PM
I don't think you can go wrong with either skimmer. The RLSS looks to be very good quality and built similar to a Bubble King. The SRO is also a well trusted brand so I think either would do the trick. Good luck with whatever one you choose!

asylumdown
01-22-2013, 10:16 PM
Advanced Aquarist did a nice write up of the RLSS skimmers, those DC pumps seem to be all the rage these days. If I were picking I'd probably go with that one, though I'd want to hear from someone on how much noise either of them made first.

riceboy
01-22-2013, 10:24 PM
i have the rlss r6i and can't hear a thing, so i would suspect the r8i will be the same

asylumdown
01-22-2013, 10:25 PM
How's the DC pump? Do you ever find yourself adjusting the pump speed?

reefwars
01-22-2013, 10:28 PM
rlss all the way:)

riceboy
01-22-2013, 10:33 PM

its not bad, i just adjust it once when i first started to get a thicker skimmate by lowering the power to get more bubbles in the cup lol. i just like the feed feature so while feeding frozen food, my skimmer doesn't go crazy and overflow. so far i'm loving it, skimmate is a lot thicker

FrenchAchilles
01-22-2013, 11:32 PM
Do you guys believe the ratings of what size of systems these can handle. There have been many past skimmer that people have found out where way over rated.

FrenchAchilles
01-23-2013, 03:44 PM
Just more food for thought concerning the ratings. When you look at these using the same dc pumps and even more air the ratings are a lot less the rlss skimmers.

http://coralvue.com/pro-openvolute-protein-skimmer/

don.ald
01-23-2013, 04:05 PM

rlss all the way:)

Wondering, what is the benefit to having a skimmer with variable speed pump?
R.

reefwars
01-23-2013, 04:38 PM
Wondering, what is the benefit to having a skimmer with variable speed pump?
R.

well for me theres a few.

one is upgrading since these skimmers are rated for such a wide rating and the body small i am going with a dc skimmer for 75 g cubes and if i upgrade i just turn it up to a faster speed, i havent had a chance to put this to use yet but we will see.i use a r10-i at the store on a 400g system and its outperformed my expectations so far.

the variable speed also helps tune the skimmer

i know if i run it on a low setting say speed 2-3 and i have an issue with a bubble tip ending up in my powerhead then having the ability to turn my skimmer up helps alot as well.

the amount of air and water these take in massive , so if i am treating with something that requires extra oxygen in the water i can take off the top , turn up the rpm's and increase the amount of air.

cleaning the skimmer neck is easy with a 10min feed push button that doesnt need to be pushed again to restart.

i like the fact that these pumps ramp up and down to speed so they have a soft start:)