PDA

View Full Version : RSM130

ponokareefer
01-22-2013, 05:04 PM
So I've had my RSM130 for a few years now, but wanting to change things up. I've struggled with keeping nutrients down from the onset with this system, so want to try barebottom. I'm looking at going with a simple system which requires little maintenance as possible. Has anyone ever done multiple types of shrimp in a smaller tank? I only want to keep pairs, but not sure if multiple types get along well enough to be put in a smaller system?

Any other suggestions anyone has for a simpler nano barebottom system would be great.

Nano
01-22-2013, 06:04 PM
My tanks BB I find I'm siphoning the bottom every 3-4 days to keep any detritus from settling that the skimmer misses. I'm not sure about the size of the rsm 130 but for nutrients why not start prodibio? It's a simple low to no maintenance system and works great. I can't speak for the shrimp topic though as my experience is limited in this regard

ponokareefer
01-22-2013, 06:58 PM
My tanks BB I find I'm siphoning the bottom every 3-4 days to keep any detritus from settling that the skimmer misses. I'm not sure about the size of the rsm 130 but for nutrients why not start prodibio? It's a simple low to no maintenance system and works great. I can't speak for the shrimp topic though as my experience is limited in this regard

Have you ever tried pointing a powerhead at the bottom to keep the detritus from settling?

Nano
01-22-2013, 08:56 PM
Yup but my power heads aren't really strong enough lol. Rather then buy new ones im just focusing on my upcoming build.

michaelis88
01-23-2013, 08:23 AM
I have the rsm 250 one. I do use a power head pointing the back of my live rock so make no dead area, and it's downward. Don't get shrimp as they don't really work much on the bottom, just stay hiding in the rock usually. Maybe nasari snails or sand sift star, something that will dig into Ur sand and consume what so ever.
Siphons is good idea, but with sugar sand I have, it will pull the sand out as well. By the end of the year I gotta buy a new pack of sand.
The best way if u are starting a new tank, have no sand is the best idea. Makes no dead spot, no food or anything left over in the sand. And it's easier to vacuum!

Xadieu
02-01-2013, 12:37 AM
Start with prodibio is your best bet. It's cheap for a nano tank, when you have bigger tank it can get expensive. But even if you dose prodibio you are only solving short term affects, you need to find out what is the cause if the nutrients such as too much feeding, too much bio load, using tap water etc.