PDA

View Full Version : Need help fast....

jtbadco
01-22-2013, 02:08 PM
Hey Gang,....I'm having an issue and I need some advice.

A few weeks ago I noticed my Starry blenny was not very active. Upon closer inspection he was hiding quite a bit and seemed to be breathing heavily. He expired the next day. I had previously had a firefish goby disappear, but with no body or visible signs of illness I didn't think too much of it. Now with a second loss I was more concerned.
I checked over the other fish closely and noticed what looked to be ich on my Green Clown goby. He had white specks that were very small, could have been salt like but looked a little 'frayed' or fuzzy. I have had small ich outbreaks in my tank last year with no problem so I figured it would sort itself out. I kept an eye on the goby and it was still active and eating well. Then I noticed that my Lammarks angel was swimming kind of funny and scratching itself on corals. I could not see anything on it's skin and the next day it too had disappeared without a trace.
At this point I did another visual inspection and my Kole tang and Coral Beauty appear to have a 'rough' appearance to their skin and the Kole is starting to hide out a bit.
No other fish are showing signs of anything, the Clown goby is still alive.

At this point I thought that it might be Marine velvet but I am not sure. All websites I have read say that MV is very fast and kills quickly, yet the goby is still alive after 2 weeks?

I am preparing to treat with Cupramine but I was hoping someone could confirm my diagnosis before I start treatment.

Water params are
Ammonia-0
Nitrite-0
NItrate-<10
pH-8.1

Please let me know what u think?
Thanx
Blaine

Skimmerking
01-22-2013, 02:11 PM
Blaine i had the same thing with my tank after transfering from my 240 gal to the RSM 250 65 gal. i lost pretty much my whole tank and it was starting on just some spots and and then it was like bam it started. and my Clown fish lived through the whole thing.

Spyd
01-22-2013, 02:12 PM
If it is Marine Velvet. Cupramine is probably one of the only ways to get rid of it. Be sure to move your fish out of your display though and into a quarantine tank. You don't want residual copper in your tank whatsoever.

If it is ich and your fish are still eating, I would just let it run its course. As long as the fish are eating, they will generally fend it off. The time I had ich, I added Garlic puree to their food to help boost their immune system.

Leah
01-22-2013, 02:27 PM
Have you added anything new to the tank lately?

The Codfather
01-22-2013, 02:32 PM
brooklynella??

jtbadco
01-22-2013, 09:00 PM
I added the Lammarks angel and the yellow watchman recently. The watchman is fine, no signs of disease. The Lammarks was the second to disappear, no body found.

If it was just ich I would leave it. But the spots are fuzzy and along with the breathing problems I think it is velvet.

I am setting up to treat with Cupramine. I am a little concerned because all I can find is API test kits locally and I hear they are not accurate detecting the Amine complex in Cupramine. I'll hope for the best.