PDA

View Full Version : Fragging zoas?

thanhjenn
01-21-2013, 05:23 PM
This is probably a very easy questions for most of you out there. I have a small zoa colony which is infested with aptasia. I like to frag the zoos. Can someone kindly advise me on how to frag and mount them onto disc. thanks

eli@fijireefrock.com
01-21-2013, 05:29 PM
use a dremel or a tile wet saw, best with a diamond bit saw the back end of the colony and chip it accordingly.
No wet saw then use a small chisel or maybe a flat head screw and a hammer...

nerdz
01-21-2013, 05:29 PM
YouTube has videos.

They are extremely toxic, as in 2nd most toxic substance on earth. Wear gloves and safety glasses in case it squirts. Use a work surface that can be thrown away or that will only be used for fragging.

Lots of people never have a problem, but it can be very dangerous if you don't know the risks.

thanhjenn
01-21-2013, 05:37 PM
thanks

Phil
01-21-2013, 05:39 PM
When I frag mine I use a set of bone like cutters they useally work unless the rock is supper hard then I use my dremmel I have diamond cutting blade and it cuts the rock supper easy it even has a attachment that I can use under water.

reefwars
01-21-2013, 09:09 PM
razor bload under the mat i can remove hundreds of polyps without cutting any rock or damaging any z0os.

if no mat then use a diamond blade to cut from underneathe the rock , make channels left and right , up and down of about a 1/2" or %50 of the rock width.

use a flat top screw driver and insert it into one of the channels, twist the screw driver and wala......if any skin is attached use a sharp razor to cut the left over skin.

this is the best way with little damage to polyps.

ps....palytoxin is just that......."paly" toxin

reefwars
01-21-2013, 09:10 PM
if it helps i make on average over 2000 zoa frags a year ;)

Zoaelite
01-21-2013, 09:51 PM
razor bload under the mat i can remove hundreds of polyps without cutting any rock or damaging any z0os.

if no mat then use a diamond blade to cut from underneathe the rock , make channels left and right , up and down of about a 1/2" or %50 of the rock width.

use a flat top screw driver and insert it into one of the channels, twist the screw driver and wala......if any skin is attached use a sharp razor to cut the left over skin.

this is the best way with little damage to polyps.

ps....palytoxin is just that......."paly" toxin

Caution should be used at any time when handling marine inverts that being said I couldn't agree more with this statement.

This compound is not found in zoas & has only been isolated in a handful of palythoa species (notibly Palythoa toxica ).

I wear protection to protect myself from the unknown, not the unexistant overly scapegoated "palytoxin" that everyone magically gets and then recovers from.