PDA

View Full Version : Acan warfare

lastlight
01-21-2013, 04:34 PM
I know there are different types of acans but how can you know which can touch or be near each other? I glanced into the tank a moment ago (lights aren't even on) and I saw this. Glad I noticed. I shook the poor little frag off and moved him further away. They've been next to each other for a month or more! The Green Loaf def won.

In general I'd say most of my acans look like the one that got attacked. seperate polyps that are easily distinguished even when fully inflated. The green guy looks more like a smooth surface.

http://www.fishbrains.net/images/28/warfare.jpg

STANKYfish
01-21-2013, 04:50 PM
It's just trial and error, but Enchinata's are the worst. We keep them away from everything. We have lost many corals to them.

eli@fijireefrock.com
01-21-2013, 04:52 PM
From my experience with acans and to put it simply if you have the Acan type that looks like a chalice never place it near another acan that is a button type shape.
Good to hear that you saved it otherwise it would have been toast.

Skimmerking
01-21-2013, 04:52 PM
yuppers Brett that acan on the left is toast man. those on the right are a beast

lastlight
01-21-2013, 04:56 PM
ok I do have one more to the right of the green loaf that looks like a chalice. can the chalice type be near other chalice types? i'm guessing the non chalice type are lords and will play nice together.

Interestingly enough all the spots where the acan got attacked are brown (no green left) and the polyps that narrowly escaped direct harm have green. I do think it will make it. I'll be creating a new garden with all the button types and creating a gap for the loaf and his other chalice type buddy.

eli@fijireefrock.com
01-21-2013, 05:25 PM
the acan we are talking about (chalice like growth is Acan Echinata (thanx STANKYfish)

Chalice is fine near other chalice you could even fuse different types of chalice together:biggrin:
Acan Echinata will kill any other acan type or any chalice.
As for the acan you have,I would watch it for the day or 2 as it might be dying,hopefully not and if so it will eventually get its colors back.

lastlight
01-21-2013, 05:35 PM
nice to know the biggest coral i have is a killing machine. i've made some space around the two echinatas (and spaced them apart from each other too) and will keep an eye on things. in a nano 'space' means 4 inches rather than 1 so it's not much. Hopefully enough!

ChizerBunoi
01-21-2013, 06:05 PM
uh oh....better get working on that upgrade. Besides, you've had this tank for 5 months now?? :razz:

DAVE
01-21-2013, 06:19 PM
I have never seen an echinata loose a battle. (they can be with each other)

They are nasty...but puurrrty

STANKYfish
01-21-2013, 06:20 PM
I would also use a baster to blow any execess stuff off of it, it helps with the healing,IMO.

lastlight
01-21-2013, 06:40 PM
i rigorously shook it off and also held it in front on my mp10 while doing so. there are fine strings that won't fall out of the mouths but I did my best. time will tell. a few polyps on the end already look normal.

asylumdown
01-22-2013, 10:42 PM
On another note, those are both sick corals (even if one was in the process of being digested), where did you get them? I've been wanting to beef up my Acan collection, but I've not had much love for what I've seen in the stores since Red Coral closed.

reefwars
01-23-2013, 03:42 AM
my orange crush acan enchinata swallowed a whole scoly.....expensive meal:(

enchinatas come in some crazy nice colors though and pattern:)

lastlight
01-23-2013, 04:24 AM
My acans have been from fragalot, concepts and Denny. This echinata was from concepts and the victim was fragalot. 3 polyps survived but all that were stung perished.

zum14
01-23-2013, 05:32 AM
Add some wierd sounds and you got yourself some blue planet material there. Sad...but neat. Hope it pulls through.