PDA

View Full Version : Is this aptasia?

mikeclarke
01-21-2013, 01:45 AM
And if so what do I do about this? It looks like I have three of these guys. I read that pulling the rock up and blow torching it is a good solution. I think that I can do this will little trouble. Is this why the zoas aren't doing awesome that are near one of them?

The one with the zoas on the left hand side of the colony (below where you see the dark shadowy area from the rock above):
http://i1273.photobucket.com/albums/y405/mikeclarkecanreef/P1202423_zps3c8ad96f.jpg

Below the big frag, to the left of the little one....
http://i1273.photobucket.com/albums/y405/mikeclarkecanreef/P1202417_zps70211c6d.jpg

At the base of a rock:
http://i1273.photobucket.com/albums/y405/mikeclarkecanreef/P1202416_zps6744ce17.jpg

http://i1273.photobucket.com/albums/y405/mikeclarkecanreef/P1202415_zpsd34c7c8c.jpg

Thanks for all the suggestions etc in advance....

Dearth
01-21-2013, 02:06 AM
Yup it's aptasia

You can torch it but no garantees you get it all that way or you can get some peppermint shrimp or other critters that will eat it or do chemical warfare. Whatever you do don't try to pull it off or cut it off or you will have some bigger issues with aptasia

mohammadali
01-21-2013, 02:24 AM
the best way to get right of aptasia is put few pepermmint shrimp and dont feed em for 2 or 3 days , then they start eating the aprasia

jus68
01-21-2013, 03:29 AM
the best way to get right of aptasia is put few pepermmint shrimp and dont feed em for 2 or 3 days , then they start eating the aprasia

+1!

mikeclarke
01-21-2013, 04:40 AM
I have two cleaner shrimp right now. Will my tank be cool with Pepermints? By not feeding do you mean I can't feed the fish either? I do pellets, krill, mysis and nori daily. I've got a couple clowns, foxface, pjs and a blenny. I've got sps lps and some softies.

scubadawg
01-21-2013, 05:03 AM
I have 4 cleaner shrimp and 1 pepermint shrimp, no problems

mohammadali
01-21-2013, 08:41 AM
I have two cleaner shrimp right now. Will my tank be cool with Pepermints? By not feeding do you mean I can't feed the fish either? I do pellets, krill, mysis and nori daily. I've got a couple clowns, foxface, pjs and a blenny. I've got sps lps and some softies.

i turned off all the powerhead and filters so water dont have flow and then i drop a bit of mysis so they can eat enough

monocus
01-21-2013, 08:32 PM
inject them with lemon juice,and smother them with a kalkwasser paste.attack them about 2 hours after feeding in the morning-do not do this at night or they will release daughter cells around the base of the foot.

asylumdown
01-21-2013, 09:16 PM
inject them with lemon juice,and smother them with a kalkwasser paste.attack them about 2 hours after feeding in the morning-do not do this at night or they will release daughter cells around the base of the foot.

I don't think there's a specific time at which attempting to kill an aiptasia will be more or less likely to trigger it to release planula. They release them in response to stress or when they're threatened, so I don't think it matters if you inject at noon, or midnight, if you trigger their stress response, they'll release planula.

Also, they're already releasing daughter cells regardless of if you attack them or not. I've had the mis-pleasure of watching how one aiptasia can turn in to a colony of aiptasia on a pane of glass in my tank - the mother aiptasia walks a few inches across the pane of glass, and behind it, a little garden of tiny baby ones sprout. It's called pedal laceration, and it's frustratingly effective. Then if the mother aiptasia stops moving, dozens of other little tiny baby ones will start to sprout from the base of the mother, then move away. This is happening on your rocks, only the little babies that sprout up are much harder to see until they're big enough to have already left their own trails of aiptasia cells behind them.

Basically, if you can see one aiptasia in your tank, you've got dozens and you just can't see them yet. If you can see 4 or 5 aiptasia, you've probably got at least a hundred. The best thing to do is get something that biologically controls them, like berghia, peppermints, or one of the fish that's known to eat them if they're appropriate for your system. If you decide to assume the sole role of 'aiptasia predator' in your tank, you're going to spend countless frustrating hours, and you'll never win. They can regenerate from a single cell, so most things that you can smear or inject on them only causes the mother anemone to melt down, to be followed a couple of weeks later by 4 or 5 smaller ones that sprouted from the few cells at the base that inevitably didn't die.

mohammadali
01-21-2013, 09:21 PM
i turned off all the powerhead and filters so water dont have flow and then i drop a bit of mysis so they can eat enough

yea do that so the mysis dont sink , let the fish it the mysis and then drop a bit more they dont have to get full . do u peppermint shrimp in the tank now ?

mikeclarke
01-22-2013, 08:07 PM
yea do that so the mysis dont sink , let the fish it the mysis and then drop a bit more they dont have to get full . do u peppermint shrimp in the tank now ?

I only have 2 cleaner shrimp