PDA

View Full Version : Care suggestions and ID for clam.

AdamsB
01-20-2013, 07:29 PM
Yesterday evening I received a clam from my bosses wife. They were in a pet store and not having a salt water aquarium she like it but couldn't have it. So she bought it for me. I usually research everything I put in my tank quite a lot for 2 reasons. One this hobby is expensive enough without accidentally killing inhabitants. And two, these are live animals and I don't like it when my incompetence causes deaths.

So with that said, I was hoping some of you more experienced reefers could possibly ID this clam for me and let me know if it will be ok in my setup. He is a pretty cool little guy.

So what I know. It's got a purple and "beige" colour, cost 60 dollars, is about 3 inches in length.

What I have, 20 gallon tank, 4 24w T5HO, 1 14k, 1 10k, 2 actinic light fixture, aqua c remora skimmer, 2 550 gph power heads. The clam is placed about half way up, maybe 7-8 inches from the water surface. The only tank inhabitant I think may cause issues is the Sally light foot and possibly the royal blenny, he's an A$$ to my clownfish and the Sally.

Thanks Guys :)

fishytime
01-20-2013, 07:52 PM
It's a crocea and will probably do just fine in your setup provided your tank isn't brand new

FitoPharmer
01-20-2013, 10:37 PM
I would ditch the sally. They are pure evil IMO.

paddyob
01-20-2013, 11:34 PM
All I saw was your boss's wife gave you a clam...

Sorry bad joke, but sure I'm not the only one with bad humor!!KK:twised:

AdamsB
01-21-2013, 12:02 AM
Ill be rearranging some rock work to position the clam a little higher tomorrow. I have a nice spot but unfortunately a little toadstool has firmly anchored himself in.

I haven't had any problems yet with the SLF but he has been fighting with my blenny. But the blenny is a feisty so and so. I may be putting the Sally in the sump of my next project. Ill give him a chance.

And paddy, I was thinking that as I was writing it but didn't know how to word it in a way that wouldn't be construed by dirty minds :P

SanguinesDream
01-21-2013, 01:52 AM
[/QUOTE]
And paddy, I was thinking that as I was writing it but didn't know how to word it in a way that wouldn't be construed by dirty minds :P[/QUOTE]

Last week, I told a friend that I was drip acclimating my clam and I was asked "if it had been awhile". Tsk, tsk, tsk. :twised:

daniella3d
01-21-2013, 03:59 AM
You should replace the 2 actinic by something more usefull. Only 2 usefull lamp for a croccea is not enough I think. They are amongst those that require the most light.

You should replace the 2 actinic by 2 aquablue special, or aquablue plus. Actinic are really useless for providing energy to your animals so it means that you only have 2 neons setup at the moment.

You should also give it live phytoplankton twice per week, as 3" clams are a bit on the small side and would grow better with a bit of food.