PDA

View Full Version : Coral suggestions for a relative newcomer

carriej
01-20-2013, 04:09 PM
Hi Folks,

After being chastised on a local board about my coral selections - I thought I would post on a more broad range to see what people would recommend in terms of easier LPS and softy corals to keep.

I have been keeping freshwater tanks for about 9 years, and have spent the last two years mostly into high tech planted tanks so I am not totally unfamiliar with dosing, monitoring and keeping the balance nor the hobby in general.

Seems to me the issue with picking my corals was that I picked up some green palys and green ricordeas. I was aware they can spread - but to me corals grow insanely slow compared to my freshwater tanks where some plants grow inches a day and need pruning every few days. Maybe I'm missing the entire point but I don't see what the big fuss is.

However - it had made me fear them. Apparently my "common" choice is going to lead to tank take overs. I'm not obsessed with the palys (but am now scared to touch them after reading up online) but I do like the ricordeas. I am also a bit nervous about this whole "palytoxin" thing, and being immune compromised with a severe autoimmune disease I can't see this being good for me.. lol

I also have a Duncan (my favorite), frogspawn, a torch, candycanes, an acan, a leather, a few different zoas, pulsing xenia.. I think that's it.

Any recommendations would be appreciated!

FitoPharmer
01-20-2013, 04:32 PM
Most softies and lps are easy to care for if your tank has stable water parameters. Some lps require feedings, sometimes up to 3 times per week, or they will die, or fail to thrive because they are not receiving enough nutrition from the light and water column.
I have always found all leathers to be easy. If you like duncans and frogspawn try a hammer coral, they are similar, but with a different growth pattern.
In reality I always find the best advice for anyone looking for new corals and they are not sure what they are looking for is to look at sites that sell coral & fish and have pictures of them with accurate descriptions. Live Aquaria comes to mind. You get to see what a specimen looks like in perfect conditions, and find out exactly what quirks you should be aware of for owning this specific coral or fish.

Dearth
01-20-2013, 05:38 PM
One of the best sites I have found for both fish and coral is www.Liveaquaria.com it will give a basic description of coral and its needs

That being said generally the easiest coral to care for are the ones that use sunlight as food.

Zoa's, certain brain corals, Xenia, leathers all use sunlight as primary feeding source. There are many others out there as well just need to do some basic research.

Have fun and enjoy your tank