PDA

View Full Version : ro water= no more diatoms on the sand ?

DEAD_BY_DAWN
05-12-2004, 07:12 AM
i dont have enough cash for a ro unit so i was considering buying it from safeway,more expensive in the end but better than tap water (thanks blue_tang) ok so will the use of ro water get rid of the diatoms that form on the my sand,everything else is close to perfect corals are all doing well i just cant get rid of the brown diatoms on the sand it makes the tanks look crappy and dark,i was also going to add another powerhead to will this do the trick ?.

Jason McK
05-12-2004, 01:58 PM
Hey DBD, I have tested the water from the machines at Safeway, the Phosphates are though the roof. I also tested Culigan (spelling) and again through the roof. I tested Canada spring (the stuff you can get delivered) and it's great. Thought you might want to know

J

bluetang
05-12-2004, 02:00 PM
thats great info. good to know.
thanks

bluetang
05-12-2004, 02:07 PM
I guess it also depends on, if these places do actual maintenance on there water filtratrion unit.

Jason McK
05-12-2004, 02:23 PM
Ya that is a big factor. Like everyone that has a RO unit knows filter changes are very important. I'm not sure of how often they have service performed.
I know a few people that use the Tap water purifier. It is a less expensive way to get good water. In the end you will pay more but Less than the home delivery way.
Here is the link to J&L's they sell the unit for $59.95
http://www.jlaquatics.com/cgi-bin/shopping/jalstore.cgi?user_action=detail&catalogno=ro-aptwp

Also on Ebay.ca
nice RO/DI unit
http://cgi.ebay.ca/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=46310&item=4301160453&rd=1
J

bluetang
05-12-2004, 02:29 PM
I use the tap water purifier. It works great. Just make sure you trickle the water through it and dont turn the tap on high. If you are looking for the cheapest price for one. King Ed's have them for cheap. I bought one last month for $39.95.

christyf5
05-12-2004, 03:20 PM
I got one of those aquasafe RODI units off ebay for about $125 or so. Works like a charm.

Christy :)

Gujustud
05-12-2004, 05:21 PM
I've got the tap water purifier, and so far its been working great. I've been using it since Jan '04 and so far, I haven't had to change the filter (however it is almost about 3/4 black now, so a change is needed pretty soon).

I'm contemplating wether to buy another filter for $30, or just to buy that RODI from aquasafe. I think we should try and get those guys to allow a local pickup however. Lame when they are only about 20 mins away.

Jaws
05-12-2004, 06:46 PM
Also on Ebay.ca
nice RO/DI unit
http://cgi.ebay.ca/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=46310&item=4301160453&rd=1
J

I've been strongly leaning towards this unit off ebay. Is anyone using this unit? How do you like it? What are the advantages or disadvantages? It's a pretty good price I thought.

DEAD_BY_DAWN
05-12-2004, 08:43 PM
Thanks Jason McK
saved me some cash i was just about to goto safeway,ok canada spring it is i will give them a call see what the prices are.

bluetang
05-12-2004, 09:05 PM
They will probably be more money and i dont know if you can buy water from them without a contract. In my opinion save up for the tap water filter. Mine has paid itself off several times already.

StirCrazy
05-12-2004, 09:57 PM
I think we should try and get those guys to allow a local pickup however. Lame when they are only about 20 mins away.

they are probably in all likelyhooda dropship company, so if this is the case they probably have no stock I don't think you are going to have much luck.. thiws seams to be the way a lot of online companies are going. but who know they might not be.

Steve

Quagmire
05-12-2004, 11:00 PM
Also on Ebay.ca
nice RO/DI unit
J

I've been strongly leaning towards this unit off ebay. Is anyone using this unit? How do you like it? What are the advantages or disadvantages? It's a pretty good price I thought.
If the bids get to high you can get the same unit from Aquariacanada for $150.
BTW I'm also using a TWP for my 30g,and have had no problems.But I was looking at this same unit because I'm upgrading tank size.

Snoop Dog
05-12-2004, 11:02 PM
DI tap water purifier. I took some to work and the TDS was at 0. Has been great and at only 25 bucks every 6 months cant beat it.

richtg
05-13-2004, 12:13 AM
I bought my Aquasafe unit (6-stage 75 GPD) and love it. I tried the safeway method for a while, but you go through so much water, I found it WAY more practical to buy a unit. Mine was $165 with a Milwaukee TDS meter and tax & shipping - Direct from aquasafe canada.

Beware of TDS readings as they are not a good indicator of toxicity of water. They only measure the amount of charged ions in the water to be used as a rough guideline. One of two samples of water with the same TDS reading might be toxic while the other is pure.

smokinreefer
05-13-2004, 03:45 AM
on a small reef, the tapwater purifier is fine. (but for my system which goes through ~30gallons a week, it just doesnt cut it) it will be cheaper than buying water from a store, but will still cost more than an RO unit (in the long run) but that way you dont have to put up the initial cost of an RO.

if you intend to stay in the hobby for a long time, or think you'll be upgrading tanks in the future, i would strongly recommend saving up for an RO/DI unit.

i am a frugal reefkeeper, but getting an RO/DI unit is one purchase that i see great value in, and is definitely a purchase that made me say, why the heck didnt i get it earlier!

Gujustud
05-14-2004, 12:14 AM
Is anyone interested in buying a RO/DI from Aquasafe? I know that $20usd shipping is a bit of a killer (specially when they are just around the block from some of us here locally), however I can get around that if we can get a few people interested in one. If you are, feel free to PM me.