PDA

View Full Version : emerald crab misbehaving?

AJ_77
08-12-2002, 03:32 AM
I have what was labelled "Green Emerald Crab" at the LFS. Tonight, after lights out, I watched it climb up the Colt coral and start picking at the closed-up stalks with vigour. It looked like the little beggar was pulling quite hard, almost yanking at the barely-exposed polyps.

I cannot discern any damage, but the Colt hasn't been quite itself, kind of smallish where it had been growing nicely.

Hmmm... Any experience with this or other similar crab irritating or actually damaging soft corals such as Colt?

Thanks,

Alan

[ 11 August 2002, 23:34: Message edited by: AJ_77 ]

Seriak
08-12-2002, 12:11 PM
I don't know if this helps but...

When I put my pipe organ coral in my tank, my emeralds immediately went over and started pulling old dead polyps out and picking at the red body. After a while they seemed to get bored and I haven't seen them near it lately. The coral didn't seem to have any visible damage and it is doing reat now.

Troy F
08-12-2002, 12:41 PM
Hi guys, this forum is for club news and information. Posts like the one above are of interest to everyone and there is a good chance that you'll receive more help in the general reef forum.

AJ_77
08-12-2002, 01:38 PM
OK Troy, thanks. (what-EVER!)

I should mention that I've read a few posts in support of these crabs' habits, and the assertion being made that they will only pick on dead tissue, debris, etc.

Then there are those who demonize emeralds and will not have them, period. This is why I'm looking for some firsthand experience stories.

BTW, my crab doesn't seem to touch the few bubbles (algae) that are present on one rock.

thanks,

AJ

[ 13 August 2002, 01:49: Message edited by: AJ_77 ]

Samw
08-12-2002, 03:47 PM
Emerald Crabs are great. I have witnessed them eating bubble algae and hair algae. My first 2 crabs completely destroyed my bubble algae problem. I bought 4 more to combat my hair algae outbreak. With 6 emerald crabs in my tank, no corals were harmed. I've since sold 3 and have 3 left as I don't have a single strand of hair algae left.

I do have a colt coral plus about 30 different sps, lps, and softies.

[ 12 August 2002, 11:51: Message edited by: Sam W ]

One_Divided
08-12-2002, 03:57 PM
I never saw mine eat any bubble algea (and I have tons).. Though I did see him on my green digitata scraping his claw along the surface! :mad: