PDA

View Full Version : Skimmer overflowing + Coral warfare issues ???

gregzz4
01-19-2013, 04:02 AM
My skimmer goes berserk now, about a week after a WC
I'm thinking it started doing this after I added a Pulsing Xenia, but I can't be sure
Maybe it's just me ...

1 week after a WC the foam head starts to collapse and I have to dial the skimmer back. Otherwise it will fill the cup rather quickly - as in overnight, or even overflows
The bubbles become small and very 'audible', and the foam is basically 'gone'
I've checked/cleaned the venturi and air inlets - no blockages

Once I do a 10% WC all is good for another week, so it's not related to a blockage
I was thinking it may be related to my sock changes, but the intervals don't jive
It also does not coincide with either carbon or gfo changes

Anyone else notice something similar, or have any input ?

fishyfishster
01-19-2013, 04:08 AM
I've noticed putting in a fresh new filter sock will make the skimmer go crazy.

I just have a question tho. Why pulsing Xenia?

gregzz4
01-19-2013, 04:12 AM
Why pulsing Xenia?
Dumb impulse buy of something that 'moves' for my Wife's viewing pleasure
I have lots of SPS ...

I'm more than willing to give it away if I can prove it's an issue ( beyond being invasive )

Proteus
01-19-2013, 04:14 AM
Haha. My wife had me pick up a frag of that too. But it went missing after a week. To this day I can't recall where it went. Hehehe

kien
01-19-2013, 04:18 AM
My skimmer (bubble magus) used to do this religiously after (or some time after) a sock change. I chalked it up to residual detergent in the washing machine that got into the filter sock fibers. I never washed my sock with any detergent tho! I think it was also related to the use of fabric softeners in the washer. Anyway, I stopped using socks for a time and the overflow stopped so that's how I knew it was the socks. Then I put the socks back on and it overflows. Then I started washing the filter socks with an extra rinse cycle and this seemed to solve that. Then we stopped using fabric softener in our wash and that too seemed to solve it for me. Haven't had my skimmer overflow for a year now.

Anyway, it's a worthy experiement. Try taking your socks off line to see if its the socks or not. It could be something else triggering your overflow.

Proteus
01-19-2013, 04:23 AM
My skimmer (bubble magus) used to do this religiously after (or some time after) a sock change. I chalked it up to residual detergent in the washing machine that got into the filter sock fibers. I never washed my sock with any detergent tho! I think it was also related to the use of fabric softeners in the washer. Anyway, I stopped using socks for a time and the overflow stopped so that's how I knew it was the socks. Then I put the socks back on and it overflows. Then I started washing the filter socks with an extra rinse cycle and this seemed to solve that. Then we stopped using fabric softener in our wash and that too seemed to solve it for me. Haven't had my skimmer overflow for a year now.

Anyway, it's a worthy experiement. Try taking your socks off line to see if its the socks or not. It could be something else triggering your overflow.

+1. Seems legit

gregzz4
01-19-2013, 04:36 AM
Haha. My wife had me pick up a frag of that too. But it went missing after a week. To this day I can't recall where it went. Hehehe

Mine might become a carpet surfing casualty, or some other unexplainable issue :razz: Xenias jump, right ?

Try taking your socks off line to see if its the socks or not. It could be something else triggering your overflow.
Thanks Kien, but I can't equate it to my socks. Firstly I wash them 4 times without bleach or other stuff. Secondly, it only happens after 6-7 days.
I could see it being an issue if it happened right away, or the day after a sock change, but not after a week .... ?????

This is why I am wondering, could it be a buildup of coral warfare ??

Proteus
01-19-2013, 04:51 AM
Toss the leather and see. If it still happens you could buy a frag back within days lol

gregzz4
01-19-2013, 05:14 AM
Toss the leather and see. If it still happens you could buy a frag back within days lol
It's definately an option
If I could convince myself 100% that it's the Xenia causing it, I'd get rid of it post haste

Anyone ever experience corals causing their skimmer to overflow ?

kien
01-19-2013, 05:18 AM
Do you run carbon? (sorry too lazy to go through your build to check) :-)

kien
01-19-2013, 05:19 AM
also, I have had plusing xenia before (a couple of years ago) and never noticed any overflow when I had the xenia. Plus there are lots of people out there with xenias. You'd think that this would be a rampant issue with xenias?

gregzz4
01-19-2013, 05:32 AM
Do you run carbon? (sorry too lazy to go through your build to check) :-)
No worries, it's a big thread to read through ...

I use carbon and gfo in 2 TLF 150s, and change each @ 4 weeks, 2 weeks apart

also, I have had plusing xenia before (a couple of years ago) and never noticed any overflow when I had the xenia. Plus there are lots of people out there with xenias. You'd think that this would be a rampant issue with xenias?
I agree it should be a noted issue, but I'm kinda at a loss to figure it out

Causes of random skimmer overflows are, with a constant water level;

Blocked air intake
Plugged or dirty/buildup in venturi

Anything else ?

Back to my observations ...

My foam head collapses at about 5 or 6 days after a WC, and does not recover until after another 10% WC

I've tried turning the skimmer off during frozen feedings; turning it off for a 1/2hr when it's acting up; total cleaning when it's acting up

I haven't had my hands in the tank for many weeks, and am very careful about what does go in
I'm at a loss here, so hence the weird questions about coral warfare and possible 'stuff' in the water building up causing my foam to collapse over time

gregzz4
01-19-2013, 09:31 AM
Some more info ...

When I said it collapses, I was serious
Skimmer is currently 'bubbling' as if it was a mix of vinegar and baking soda, without the overflowing of the volcano
No foam at all, just lots of bubbling

With it's track record, if I were to turn it back up right now to get some foam, by morning it will have filled the cup, or overflowed into the sump

Reef Pilot
01-19-2013, 01:53 PM
Interesting.... Mine has been doing that a few times lately, too. I have been adding new corals, though, and I think all the gluing, new frag plugs, cement and putty is what has been doing it. I just make sure that it is dialed low enough so that it doesn't overflow. Just the same, have found the cup nearly half full a couple times, even with the skimmer level down low.

gregzz4
01-19-2013, 02:14 PM
Interesting.... Mine has been doing that a few times lately, too. I have been adding new corals, though, and I think all the gluing, new frag plugs, cement and putty is what has been doing it. I just make sure that it is dialed low enough so that it doesn't overflow. Just the same, have found the cup nearly half full a couple times, even with the skimmer level down low.
Ya, probably your issue is all the glue/epoxy etc and you putting your hands in the DT while you're playing with your new corals

I've considered all the times I've put my bare hands in the tank, and all the times I've added new corals, and it still does not equate to my skimmer overflowing ACK

You've all been sleeping ... I'm just going to bed

Please add your thoughts and I'll read them as soon as I get up :mrgreen:

Reef Pilot
01-19-2013, 04:00 PM
You've all been sleeping ... I'm just going to bed

Please add your thoughts and I'll read them as soon as I get up :mrgreen:

Some more long shot ideas...

You say it happens about a week after a WC. Maybe some build-up of something in your water, or a depletion. Not sure if your parameters vary in that time, but might be some other things that you don't measure, maybe some contaminant coming from somewhere.

Not sure what you do for ATO. Do you use a separate container that maybe has some kind of build-up and needs a good cleaning?

gregzz4
01-21-2013, 12:16 AM
Good thought about my ATO
There may be some bacterial buildup in there I need to clean out

gregzz4
01-27-2013, 12:32 AM
Wow do I feel like an arse
I bought this skimmer used and had no idea what the inside of the venturi was supposed to look like
Skimz used 2 different colors of plastic, so the build up of calcium in the venturi looked normal to me :doh:
Add a piece of food, algae or a small snail and overflow was imminent

A clean with vinegar and some elbow grease and wouldn't you know it, it's pulling some serious nog again

Think I'll have to change the location of my drip :smile:, and my weekly cleaning of the cup will now include the venturi